Go Down

Topic: How to Power Arduino Externally ? (Read 10161 times) previous topic - next topic

Akshaysarraf

Sir are you asking me to Check the Voltage Across the Positive and Negative Ends of My Power Supply ?
Sir, I did that... In the photo of Multimeter above... I was using the Multimeter directly to the Power Supply...
If You'll look closely in the photo you can see me doing that.

UnoDueTre

Attached is the schematic for the PSU section of your Arduino.
Please check between each of the Test Points and ground.

UnoDueTre

Sir are you asking me to Check the Voltage Across the Positive and Negative Ends of My Power Supply ?
Sir, I did that... In the photo of Multimeter above... I was using the Multimeter directly to the Power Supply...
If You'll look closely in the photo you can see me doing that.

Yes, I understand, but have you checked it with the Arduino connected?
I have posted a schematic with different points to check.

Akshaysarraf

SIr, I am new at this. Electronics. Dont know much about Schematic Diagrams.

Can you suggest an alternate way ?

UnoDueTre

OK, let's try something else.
Put your meter onto AC volts (not DC) and measure directly across the output of the power supply (Arduino not connected).

Another thing, is the attached picture the same as your Arduino?

UnoDueTre

If it is the same board, check the voltages at each of the Test Point.
In all cases, black lead of meter to common ground.

Akshaysarraf

Multimeter Redings, AC Voltage, Measuring across Output of My Power Adapter (Arduino NOT Connected)

22.3 when I Choose 200V as a Range on Multimeter
22 or 23 When I choose 750V as a Range on Multimeter

And Yes I have the same Board as shown by you

UnoDueTre

OK then that power supply is not suitable.

Akshaysarraf

Are you Sure about that ?

Do you still want me to take readings on TEST POINTS ?

UnoDueTre

Dec 20, 2013, 06:11 pm Last Edit: Dec 20, 2013, 06:13 pm by UnoDueTre Reason: 1
No need to take extra measurements as that is an AC power supply and not for Arduino use.
But keep the drawings I sent you so when you get another power supply, you can use it as a handy reference and also it will help you learn a bit more about how schematics relate to real world components.

Akshaysarraf

Ok... Thanks a Lot.
Sir So which Power Adapter I Should Buy ?

Any Idea ?

UnoDueTre

Don't throw out that power supply, once you get more practice with building things, you can add a bridge rectifier and a capacitor (perhaps a regulator too) and power small motors and such that will need around 24V DC.

As regards a power supply for your Arduino, get something that gives out around 9V DC @ 500mA or so but make sure it is regulated and that the voltage polarity on the connector matches that of the Arduino.

There are plenty available on the internet and many electronics stores will stock them as well.

Akshaysarraf

Thanks a Lot for your Support Sir

Actually My Main AIM is... I want to Control my Room Lights with My Arduino... Reading some Online Tutorials.. I Bought an Arduino, Ethernet Shield and a 4 in 1 Relay Board (12V).

I noticed that when I connect Ethernet Shield and Relay Board and Run the Program...
I face 2 problems

1) My Ethernet Shield Gets Connected to my router for 10 Seconds and then gets Disconnects for 30 Seconds and then Gets back on for 10 seconds

2) My Relay makes a Buzzing Sound.

After Some Internet Research... I came to know, Both these Problems are because of More Voltage Consumption/Drop on Ethernet shield. My Laptop isn't enough to Power. So I started searching for External Power Supply.

Sir, Am I Going in right Direction ?
(I am a Newbie in all this)

UnoDueTre

Dec 20, 2013, 07:53 pm Last Edit: Dec 20, 2013, 07:55 pm by UnoDueTre Reason: 1
It could very well be as the extra stuff you connected to your Arduino board will certainly consume more current and  you are powering it from the USB port which has a limit of around 500mA.

Without seeing your code and how you connected things, others will not be able to help you.
My suggestion is start a new thread under the "Networking, Protocols and Devices" section, post your code using the code tags plus an explanation of what you have tried thus far and any other relevant information.

Go Up