Please upgrade your Yún - latest is 1.5.3

blackt1ger:
It was my understanding that the Yun and an Arduino with a Yun shield were the same.

They may be functionally similar, but they are not identical. There may be subtle differences between them and the software that runs on the Linux processor.

Your specific question was about figuring out version numbers - since you are looking at a different product with software distributed by a different company, any version numbers relating to the software in this thread will not apply to the version of the software on your device, and vice versa.

The software and procedure being discussed in this thread may or may not work on your shield, but that should be discussed in a different thread, not on this one.

But thank you for sharply pointing out that I have absolutely no business being here or asking questions.

Nobody has said that. Both Jesse and I said you should start a new thread about this topic - nobody has said you should go away or look for a different forum. If someone wanted you to go away, they would've said that - an invitation to start a new discussion is not a request to leave. You are welcome at this forum, and if you start a topic about how to relate the version numbers between the shield and the Yun, (and I assume you also want to know if this software will work on your shield) we will be happy to discuss it with you in your thread.