Go Down

Topic: Audio processor. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

julessilver

Hi Arduino Forum.

I am looking to hire in some expertise to help me design a prototype audio processor. Please contact me if you know of anybody that could help in my project so I can get them to quote their rates.

The audio processor will include:
Stereo to Mono conversion.
VCA - for consistent volume.
Select-able graphic eq.
Soundgate.
Minimal latency.
Low power.

This is something I have previously realised using analogue electronics but I thought I would inquire if there was anyone out there who would be prepared to take on the project in software?

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers...jules

CrossRoads

Not with a  8-bit, 16 MHz processor. Not enough time for processing.
You could have the processor control some of the analog functionality.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

DVDdoug

A Raspberry Pi might be able to handle it.   But a Raspberry Pi runs a multitasking OS, and when you have multitasking you need buffers and buffers are a delay (latency).

It also depends on the amount of data...  i.e. The number of channels, sample-rate, and bit-depth.  And of course the complexity of the processing.    The only you're doing that's complex is the EQ.

Rack mount audio processors are usually built around special-purpose DSP chips.

If you've never done any DSP programming before, there is a good online DSP book.  And for things like filters, you can find libraries so you don't have to write the code from scratch.

julessilver

Thanks for all your replies. I will read through your suggestions this weekend. All your help is much appreciated. Cheers...j

hirschmensch

I did this with an Arduino Due and a Wolfson audio codec chip.
It's very possible with an Arduino and you don't need a Raspberry PI.
If I can help you in any way, feel free to ask!

Go Up