Go Down

Topic: 4x3 Keypad from Sparkfun (Read 6488 times) previous topic - next topic

Angelsbane72

So this project has been ended because we are buying a PLC. Why bother with Arduino if I dont need to.

Thanks for all your help. no thanks for the attitude.
I'm a frustrated newbie and started following your advice once you started giving it, so IDK what you want from me. Don't expect me to know what you are talking about all the time.

Good luck on your own projects

raschemmel

Mar 20, 2015, 05:06 pm Last Edit: Mar 21, 2015, 04:45 am by raschemmel
Thanks for all your help. no thanks for the attitude.
I'm a frustrated newbie and started following your advice once you started giving it, so IDK what you want from me. Don't expect me to know what you are talking about all the time.
No one expects you to. I have no way to know what you understand and what you don't. I can't read your mind. You are expected to ask for explanation when needed. Pretty much all Newbies are frustrated. In order to reach your objective on the forum, you need to do the following:
1-Research your topic (Google it with keyword "arduino" at the beginning of all your searches.
2- Read replies thoroughly and take notes if necessary.
3- Try to follow instructions completely.
4- Pay attention to the content, not the tone or delivery. You came here for information. That's the only thing you should be interested in. If the replies are informative, take the infromation and leave the rest. If the replies are not informative then either your post title is not drawing attention or your posts are lacking in detail.It is hard to help someone who is not providing enough information.
5-If you don't understand something , ask for clarification.
6-Create folders on your computer that you can use as a quasi-database.
7- Create a folder somewhere outside your boot drive to store all your reference information. If you
   keep it on your boot drive and it crashes you'll lose everything.
8- Read as many tutorials as you can and explore or try out Instructables.
9- Regarding hardware, learn to draw schematics and avoid Fritzings. (they are very unpopular on the forum because they are not schematics and require you to trace the lines. Big pain in the ass.
10- Always read datasheets. There is a special Hell reserved for people who don't. It is a place where nothing works and everything smokes when you apply power.
11-Whenever possible , try to find time to read the datasheet for the ATmega328, a little at a time.
ATmega328 DATASHEET
12-Get to know the players on the forum and what their specialties are. (who knows what)
13- If you feel you have been insulted, don't get mad, just reply "Thank you for sharing...."
14 -If someone is blatently rude and clearly inapproriate, click the Report to Moderator button at the bottom of every post. I've only done this twice in 2 years.
15 - Create a Word document with links that you copy and pasted from posts. Create alphabetical categories for the sections and just paste the links in the appropriate section when you find them.
You will need to create new categories all the time because there are too many topics.

Please quote whatever I said that you interpret as "attitude" since I cannot possibly know what you are talking about without an example. If you are referring to Reply#26:

This is nonsense. You post on the forum for help and then when we tell you exactly what the problem is you tell us it's not a problem (in your mind) because (in your mind), metal touching metal is good enough.
What is your problem ? If you don't know how to solder or you don't have a soldering iron, then say so, but
don't tell US what is or isn't a problem if you are posting here for help. We have a reason for telling you it needs to be soldered. If you are going to work with electronics, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do...".
This could have been avoided if you explained the unsoldered pins when you posted the photo. There is a right way and a wrong way to connect to PCB pins without solder. The right way it to use spring-loaded microhook jumpers at the pcb holes and a solid 20 ga hookup wire at the breadboard end. Your method is the wrong way because it doesn't guarantee a good connection. As far as the discussion about why you couldn't figure out where to connect the A0 , it could have been avoided if you explained that you are having trouble finding it because the lcd shield doesn't have silkscreened labels and you want to know which header pin would be A0. It should have been obvious by looking at the label on the Uno and tracing the header pin plugged into to it to the topside.
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

Go Up