Go Down

Topic: Arduino Playground Edit Access (Read 7858 times) previous topic - next topic

nickgammon

In that case someone please karma me. :) In 2 years and 1000 hrs of Arduino work, and thousands of downloads of my libraries, I've received 2 karma.
I can't see your Karma count any more so my motivation for giving more to you is gone. That is on the bug list for the forum.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

panther3001

Apr 14, 2015, 01:18 am Last Edit: Jun 06, 2015, 08:44 pm by panther3001
...and the playground is incredibly slow to load pages.
I've noticed this too. I wonder why that is. Perhaps they need a new host? I'm not a web guy. No idea, but I do know that the slow loading really does affect users, and especially editors of the playground. I've had many issues in the past with the processing taking many minutes after I make a change (perhaps 1,2, even 5+ minutes)...only to fail and I have to make the edit again. A 1-min edit process turns into 25 min.

PS....my download and upload internet speed is 50Mbps *each way*. So....it's not my local connection holding me up.
Visit my RC aircraft, electronics, & Arduino website at http://www.electricrcaircraftguy.com

panther3001

I can't see your Karma count any more so my motivation for giving more to you is gone. That is on the bug list for the forum.
Ah.....yeah, hopefully they fix it. :(
Visit my RC aircraft, electronics, & Arduino website at http://www.electricrcaircraftguy.com

SurferTim

Apr 17, 2015, 02:04 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015, 02:40 pm by SurferTim
Hopefully they will fix the playground also. It is the end of the week and the playground still needs a unique password to edit any articles. Maybe the webmaster is on vacation again? ;)

@panther3001: I can see your karma, just not on your posts. I must log in and view your profile. I liked it better when it displayed on the posts without logging in. That does need fixing.

edit: Since the webmaster ignored my password request, another user PMed me the playground password. I can now edit the playground. If you need the password to edit the playground, PM me and I will determine if you deserve it. :)

Just a preliminary warning. If you have no karma and registered on the forum within the last few days, forget it! No password for you.

advaith

It's already June and there is still a password.

Isaac96

@panther3001, Karma for you!(not a whim, he has helped people a lot)
Do not PM me for help. I will delete immediately.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

panther3001

Isaac96

I can see Karma just fine! :smiley-mr-green: 
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

nickgammon

It was fixed a week or so ago.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Isaac96

Oh yeah, I didn't look at the date   :smiley-red:
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

advaith

mastrolinux

Hi,

Not soon. I mean we now have a real captcha in id.arduino.cc and it is probably relatively simple to add it to playground.

I am sharing the password once a day with contributors so I do think we have already about 40 contributors having the password and able to edit. this is working pretty well stopping bots and spammers.

pert

this is working pretty well stopping bots and spammers.
@mastrolinux I think it's also working pretty well at stopping a lot of contributors who just want to make a small edit, don't want to go through a whole email process just to get the password, or don't know that they need to send an email to get the password. Arduino is changing quickly with many new IDE features and new boards. The playground needs to be updated along with these changes to stay relevant. It's really unacceptable that it has has been over 3.5 months and still to be fixed "not soon". The playground is a community resource that was created by the hard work of many people and the ability to openly contribute to it was taken away without any input from the community. I really don't see that the spam problem was so bad that it's worth doing this. According to the edit history, in the 9 years that the playground has existed there has been only around 74 spam edits. I support adding anti-spam measures like captcha, blocklists, or spam filters but password protection is too much.

panther3001

@mastrolinux I think it's also working pretty well at stopping a lot of contributors who just want to make a small edit, don't want to go through a whole email process just to get the password, or don't know that they need to send an email to get the password. Arduino is changing quickly with many new IDE features and new boards. The playground needs to be updated along with these changes to stay relevant. It's really unacceptable that it has has been over 3.5 months and still to be fixed "not soon". The playground is a community resource that was created by the hard work of many people and the ability to openly contribute to it was taken away without any input from the community. I really don't see that the spam problem was so bad that it's worth doing this. According to the edit history, in the 9 years that the playground has existed there has been only around 74 spam edits. I support adding anti-spam measures like captcha, blocklists, or spam filters but password protection is too much.
I have to say that I agree. The only reason I got the password is because I was so persistent, since I was in the middle of a series of edits over a couple weeks when all of a sudden the password protection came up. Most people will never find the password, yet they have useful contributions to make.

tkbyd

I am torn.

On the one hand I subscribe to the view that if I want to dictate how something is done, I'd better do the work of doing it. In other words, the people who do the work of making the Playground available (not just the CONTENTS, the place where mere contributors can contribute, but the site) get to decide how it works.

On the other hand, once upon a time, I don't think there were any alternatives to the Playground... it was a "one stop shop". If you wanted to find, or "advertise" something, that was The Place To Go. There were no alternatives 'cause none were needed.

Like a previous poster, and, I suspect, many others ("if one person complains, ten have been unhappy"), I just can't be bothered with the hassles of the new hurdles. (People who know the material I used to ocntribute may say this is a good thing!)

One of the reasons I try to "spread the word" about Arduinos is that there is a huge community of "experts" and "mere" enthusiasts available to consult, be inspired by, etc.

Making it hard to get into the Playground will, I fear, make it become a stagnant backwater, and a once great resource will wither.

But letting it be a spammer's paradise would kill it quickly, entirely.

Ah well.

One last point: If I will admit to a bit of vanity, I can say that the presence of the Playground was an incentive to write up things I've done. And to do things in the first place, so that I could write them up! The Playground was "big" enough, that doing something "worthy" of posting there seemed worth my while. I hope Google's search engine will be able to find, and that enthusiasts will still write, accounts of interesting things, as those accounts begin to be put in multiple small places.

Go Up