Go Down

Topic: Transformer Problems  (Read 2620 times) previous topic - next topic

TomGeorge

Hi,

What is your transformer made of, is it metal laminations or a powdered grey solid core?
What are the dimensions?

Tom..... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

SB_Technology

Oct 31, 2015, 07:41 am Last Edit: Oct 31, 2015, 07:44 am by SB_Technology
not sure im new to transformers it did not seem to have those metal E and I pieces just a solid metal around the windings oh and its small like quarter sized
Gotta loves My grammar

TomGeorge

Hi,
We don't have quarters (coins)  in Australia.
But I suspect its small.
How big,  mm (millimetres).

Tom.... :)

SB_Technology

i dont have a  ruler around but i would say its about the size of a soda or cola lid
Gotta loves My grammar

TomGeorge

Hi,
Sounds like it is a SMPS transformer or audio transformer.
Have you had a look on digikey or other supplier for something looking similar?
Or do a google image search.

Tom..... :)

billhowl

Paul_KD7HB

and it still wont upload its a jpg and i edited to under 500kbs still did not work  so at this point all i can do is ask if i have four leads on one side and the two side by side are connected and the other two are connected using  continuity setting on the meter and  the five leads on the other side  the ones side by side are connected like the other side is but the fifth lead is not connected to a wire what would that be for and how would u hook it up if u neglect the fifth lead cause ive tried about every hook up imaginable and  since i cant get the pulsed dc to work i soldered in to the camera  circuit and connected a lead before the diode now the meter says i have ac can i use that to try to test the transformer ive tried but still nothing so im really at a loss  :(  im new to these things
Fifth lead may be to ground an inter-winding shield, or perhaps the frame of the transformer, or both.

Paul

SB_Technology

Oct 31, 2015, 06:02 pm Last Edit: Oct 31, 2015, 06:04 pm by SB_Technology
Is it look like this

thats it just a different name on mine im not sure what the diagrams mean tho im stupid and new :( could u explain what they mean i would greatly appreciate getting something to work after days of nothing
Gotta loves My grammar

SB_Technology

im not sure how u found it i have looked for a diagram before with the numbers on the transformer but no luck thanks for finding it
Gotta loves My grammar

jackrae

Suggest you attach a diagram of the circuit you are using otherwise everyone can only guess at what you are trying to do.

Paul_KD7HB

thats it just a different name on mine im not sure what the diagrams mean tho im stupid and new :( could u explain what they mean i would greatly appreciate getting something to work after days of nothing
If you insist on writing that you are "stupid and new", after a while we will begin to believe you and ignore your posts. You may be new, but need to calm down and learn the basics of what you are working with. We all had to do that.

Draw a large drawing of your transformer. Add lines going out from the drawing to represent the wire leads. Now, using your ohm meter, measure the resistance from one lead to each of the other leads. On your drawing, draw a line between the wire lead lines and write the resistance you found on that line. Do that for all the leads on your transformer. You have created a diagram of how your transformer is wound.

Since you do not have an oscilloscope, you need to find an audio amplifier with a speaker. Use an old transistor radio that works a bit. doesn't need to work, except for the audio section. We are going to use the audio in place of an oscilloscope. Does that make sense to you?

Open the radio and find the volume control. You will be able to see three terminals on the volume control. One goes to the previous stage of the radio, the center terminal goes to the audio amplifier section of the radio. And the third terminal goes to the "ground" of the radio circuit board.

Connect a wire to the center terminal to the volume control. connect a second wire to the "ground" terminal on the control. Turn that radio on and hold the wire going to the center terminal. You should hear a buzz from the speaker.

When you get this working, you can use it to see if your circuits are working or not. The sound will tell you.

Paul

SB_Technology

im just trying to use what i have at hand i dont have much money and hardly any spare junk to take from so i figured if it was possible to wire it and get it to work just a little then i can go ahead with my next steps on this idea im trying to build with limited knowledge and if i can prove that i can use a transformer ill try to buy one but till i can prove to myself that its not gonna be a waste of money ill just have to try to find some junk transformers and try them till something works :(
Gotta loves My grammar

SB_Technology

If you insist on writing that you are "stupid and new", after a while we will begin to believe you and ignore your posts. You may be new, but need to calm down and learn the basics of what you are working with. We all had to do that.

Draw a large drawing of your transformer. Add lines going out from the drawing to represent the wire leads. Now, using your ohm meter, measure the resistance from one lead to each of the other leads. On your drawing, draw a line between the wire lead lines and write the resistance you found on that line. Do that for all the leads on your transformer. You have created a diagram of how your transformer is wound.

Since you do not have an oscilloscope, you need to find an audio amplifier with a speaker. Use an old transistor radio that works a bit. doesn't need to work, except for the audio section. We are going to use the audio in place of an oscilloscope. Does that make sense to you?

Open the radio and find the volume control. You will be able to see three terminals on the volume control. One goes to the previous stage of the radio, the center terminal goes to the audio amplifier section of the radio. And the third terminal goes to the "ground" of the radio circuit board.

Connect a wire to the center terminal to the volume control. connect a second wire to the "ground" terminal on the control. Turn that radio on and hold the wire going to the center terminal. You should hear a buzz from the speaker.

When you get this working, you can use it to see if your circuits are working or not. The sound will tell you.

Paul
i guess that is good news in a way so all the times i hooked it up it might have been the transformer and not me as much  :smiley-confuse:
Gotta loves My grammar

DVDdoug

Oct 31, 2015, 10:09 pm Last Edit: Oct 31, 2015, 10:10 pm by DVDdoug
Sorry, but without the specs or datasheet, a transformer is going to be useless.    Even if you have the datasheet, chances are a random transformer is going to be useless for any specific application. 

Saying "I have a transformer" is almost like saying "I have a fruit".    Except, you can look at a fruit and tell what kind of fruit it is, or if you don't recognize it you can show a picture to a fruit expert.   You can sometimes tell something by looking at a transformer, but usually not much.   There are lots of custom made transformers and if you have one of those you may not be able to find any information.

For example, I searched the Jameco website for "transformer" and I got 420 hits (some of the items found are not actually transformers).    These are mostly not interchangeable and Jameco is a small supplier so they might not have an appropriate transformer for your particular application.

SB_Technology

well i was just trying to learn them a bit but for my project i was gonna try to make my own but i dont want to buy one or buy the stuff to make one if i cant get one to do something step down step up anything  i have a lack of confidence in my ability and still learning plus the funding of a homeless person seriously not joking so im trying to step carefully :'(
Gotta loves My grammar

Go Up