Go Down

Topic: Can't burn bootloader with Atmel ICE (Read 9381 times) previous topic - next topic

david_prentice

You don't need anything.   From the IDE.  Just select EDBG as programmer in Tools.   Select Burn Bootloader.    Job done.

If I have been using Keil or Rowley to program my M0 Pro,    it is generally necessary to re-install the bootloader.     I can't remember with AS7.    But it is not too much of an imposition to do one mouse click for the "Burn".

David.

cometa

cometa

in my case doesn't work
i don't have EDBG  programmer in Tools
please someone make zip file with arduino including all modifying file

westfw

i don't have EDBG  programmer in Tools
please someone make zip file with arduino including all modifying file
That would be the Arduino IDE install.  If you don't have "Atmel EDBG" in the Tools/Programmer menu, then it's not installed correctly.  (Don't forget that you'll have to install the samd package with the board manager, after installing the main IDE.)

cometa

Finally I burn the bootloader successfully
So:

step 1.
 I used Arduino M0 Pro as Programer, i de-soldered  the 0 ohm resistor from SWCLK, and SWDIO and also I de-soldered 330 ohm from reset pin, 
step 2.
 I connected SWCLK, SWDIO, RESET, VCC and GND from blank IC  to  2x5 PROGRAMMING PINHEAD.

Using Arduino 1.6.7
I select board Arduino zero native usb
after this i select programmer and BURN
DONE!!

Drewski

Dec 29, 2015, 04:28 pm Last Edit: Dec 29, 2015, 04:35 pm by Drewski
Ok, so I'm confused with the talk of using Amtel Studio along with Arduino IDE. Could someone please help me sort this out?

I made a custom board using a SAMD21E17. Using Amtel-ICE & Amtel Studio, I'm able to communicate with the chip and can burn a bootloader to it. Since I followed the design of the Femto USB, I used their bootloader. In Windows 10, I see it pop up on a COM port. I then can see the COM port available in Arduino IDE 1.6.7 but I can't upload anything to it... the IDE hangs on uploading the sketch.

So my question is, with a fresh chip, can I burn the Arduino bootloader directly to the chip from Arduino IDE? Do I need to first convert a bin to hex and use Amtel Studio to burn to the chip before I can use it in the Arduino IDE? Is there any possibility of a clock speed issue? I see the zero is at 48Mhz, and I'm using an external 32Mhz crystal, is that an issue and the crystal needs to be removed? If I understand correctly, the 48MHz is an internal setup?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sulimarco

Dec 29, 2015, 08:48 pm Last Edit: Dec 29, 2015, 09:12 pm by Sulimarco
Hi everybody,

I agree with Cometa: it is possible to use a Zero as an SWD programmer. See my post in this thread

Zero

I have tried it with an Arduino MO PRO in Arduino IDE 1.7.8 and it works.

Marco

royce

Ok, so I'm confused with the talk of using Amtel Studio along with Arduino IDE. Could someone please help me sort this out?

I made a custom board using a SAMD21E17. Using Amtel-ICE & Amtel Studio, I'm able to communicate with the chip and can burn a bootloader to it. Since I followed the design of the Femto USB, I used their bootloader. In Windows 10, I see it pop up on a COM port. I then can see the COM port available in Arduino IDE 1.6.7 but I can't upload anything to it... the IDE hangs on uploading the sketch.

So my question is, with a fresh chip, can I burn the Arduino bootloader directly to the chip from Arduino IDE? Do I need to first convert a bin to hex and use Amtel Studio to burn to the chip before I can use it in the Arduino IDE? Is there any possibility of a clock speed issue? I see the zero is at 48Mhz, and I'm using an external 32Mhz crystal, is that an issue and the crystal needs to be removed? If I understand correctly, the 48MHz is an internal setup?

Thanks in advance for your help.
How did you burn the bootloader in Atmel Studio? I couldn't see the option right away.

Anyway, on my custom J board I used the regular Arduino IDE to drop in the regular Zero bootloader via the Atmel ICE. (Tools | Programmer | Atmel ICE then Tools | Burn Bootloader) It  worked fine and I was able to drop in programs directly from the IDE via the Native USB port after that.

The com port assignment in the OS does thrash around a little bit the first fews times and that can spoil the first download attempts but it seems to settle down after a bit.

All that said, I did use a 32kHz xtal on my J board in just the same way that it is used on the Zero. I'm not sure if your 32Mhz xtal will cause issues or not.

Good luck with your E!

Go Up