Go Down

Topic: Buying Kits (Read 3773 times) previous topic - next topic

raschemmel

Mar 24, 2016, 03:31 am Last Edit: Mar 24, 2016, 03:37 am by raschemmel
I had to zoom in on that one.  
If you zoomed in on it, you saw the labels on each of the white wires. I might add, for those of you who can't wait to build one, that the trick to this setup is that the breadboard wires are 22 guage SOLID, soldered to flexible 22 guage stranded. As I am sure you can image, that many 22 guage solid wires together would never work, which is why they are stranded, but stranded won't plug into the breadboard, which explains the blue solid wires.  I don't think I'm going to be able to do the Fritzing for that. sorry .
I will mention that I tested every one of the circuits on the breadboard after building them, so when I did the final test, it was actually not necessary (for me anyway) because I never built the next circuit until the previous one has passed the function test. In all there were about 30  separate circuits (at least) and all of them were built, one by one and tested one by one. That is the only way a complex circuit like that can be breadboarded. You start with one circuit and get that working and then move on the next. You can't pay attention to all the circuits as they pile up because it is like looking down when you are walking a tightrope.
You have to focus on the next circuit and then the next circuit and keep doing that for 27 hours straight and hope that if you fall asleep in the middle of the night,the tip of the soldering iron will fall in the palm of your hand and wake you up immediately (that actually happened by the way).
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

dmjlambert

I'm not really trying to avoid soldering, but I just don't have the ability to do it right now. I live in a very tiny 1 room place. I don't have any safe place to setup a hot iron, and I have no place to vent any fumes. I tried soldering a couple years ago when I bought the starter kit, and it got really bad in here quickly. The fumes started to give me a headache.

I need to wait until I get into a bigger place so I can do it correctly, and vent the fumes.
You'll probably need to do a small amount of soldering, for example soldering headers on a Pro Mini or other various modules, so they are ready to plug into a breadboard.  For that, perhaps you can find an outdoor area such as a picnic area or pavilion that happens to have some electric outlets.  Patio.  Starbucks, maybe.  :-)

gpsmikey

Check out some of the soldering videos on Youtube.  There are some tricks to it like make sure the connection is clean, use rosin core flux (never acid core) and don't overheat the connection or the iron.  A bit of practice and watching a few examples and you will do just fine.  Heat the joint and feed the solder in, do not heat the solder and drop it on the joint.  We will pass on the fine pitch SMD stuff for the first lessons  :)   One important trick learned over the years (the hard way I might add ... ) - if you drop the hot iron when you are working, do NOT grab for it - you are sure to grab the hot end - never fails  :o   
mikey
-- you can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !
old engineering saying: 1+1 = 3 for sufficiently large values of 1 or small values of 3

raschemmel

Unless you're falling asleep..
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

ChrisTenone

TRIBUTE 82-A.pdf
462.73 KB
downloaded 300 times
Wow - Richard Diebenkorn! I would have loved to have met him. Posters of his paintings are all over my house.
What, I need to say something else too?

raschemmel

I only met William Shatner. He autograghed my 555 Timer cookbook.
The rest of the time I was playing "The Wizard of OZ" behind a large black curtain. I finnally ate after 27 hours when my boss brought me a plate of the food the guests were eating.

keeper63

@raschemmel:

That's one helluva story; thanks for sharing it.

For the OP - in regards to soldering:

Hopefully, in the place you call home you have a window. Open it up, put a fan in it (blowing out), and solder nearby. The fan will suck the fumes out.

If you don't live in a place with a window (?) - first, you might reconsider where you are living (because it sounds like a fire trap at best - or one of those chinese basement "shoebox" apartments - but I repeat myself) - but secondly, put the fan in the door. If for some reason you can't leave the door open either (again, rethink your living arrangements), then take a computer "muffin" fan, and attach a piece of activated-carbon filter to the intake side, and face the output away from you.

You can find several instructables and other tutorials online for creating a fan to filter solder fumes.

Personally, I've never had a problem with solder fumes, other than acid-core (when I used it for metal working) - fumes from that will make your eyes burn and your throat raw.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

raschemmel

@raschemmel:

That's one helluva story; thanks for sharing it.

Your welcome.
I think it would be fair to say it was my "trial by fire".

Personally, I've never had a problem with solder fumes, other than acid-core (when I used it for metal working) - fumes from that will make your eyes burn and your throat raw.
Me either. I love the smell of solder in the morning.... It smells like...victory.

gpsmikey

Your welcome.
I think it would be fair to say it was my "trial by fire".

Me either. I love the smell of solder in the morning.... It smells like...victory.
Me too - love the smell of rosin.  Wasn't it Steve Ciarcia (sp?) from Byte Magazine that said something like "my favorite programming language is solder"??  :)
mikey
-- you can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !
old engineering saying: 1+1 = 3 for sufficiently large values of 1 or small values of 3

polymorph

I stay away from 60/40. Get 63/37 instead. There is a paste phase when 60/40 is cooling, whereas 63/37 goes from liquid to solid.

It can make a difference, especially when you are new to soldering. And you really do NOT want to start soldering with lead-free.

I have a lifelong habit of gently blowing the smoke away when I solder. I taught a small class in soldering a couple of weekends ago, and I found myself blowing when I was walking someone through soldering. You definitely don't want the smoke going up your nose.

Yes, it was Steve Ciarcia who said that.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

krazydarcy

Another idea would be if you have a porch/deck outside would be to do it there, if theres no power there are butane powered soldering irons avaliable.

I found that soldering a project together makes it more durable than just plugging together with header pins.  By all means build on a breadboard first then transfer to protoboard or pcb. I did a co2 sensor module - 4 hours to build then 5 hours to get it working as i didn't breadboard it first to check it.

Re: buying kits, I got a bag of assorted resisters to have on hand - if I don't have the value I need, I can add two resisters in series to get the needed value. Other parts I buy as needed. some items I make sure I have a few spare (on the offchance I damage something like a transistor during assembly.  With Arduino you can buy "starter" kits that contain arduino and assorted parts - these are ok for your first arduino (an idea for fisher price maybe) but I have found some parts don't get used in actual practice unless you are following written course work/tutorial.

Paul__B

Me too - love the smell of rosin.
You definitely don't want the smoke going up your nose.
My concern is that I have significant respiratory disease, and never smoked.

So my two notable exposures are soldering ("hobby" - much less in recent times) and vaporised (human) flesh (occupational hazard).

I definitely have my suspicions.

raschemmel

Mar 25, 2016, 05:01 am Last Edit: Mar 25, 2016, 05:02 am by raschemmel
I don't know how involved you plan to get in the hobby but if you get to the point of needing a way to organize parts, I use manilla coin envelopes from Office Depot to organize resistors , caps , diodes , and other small components in a plastic  Tupper Ware tray just the height of the envelopes, only because I have such a large selection of values, purchased at an electronics surplus store. ( one of the perks of living in the Silicon Valley.)

pegwatcher

Mar 25, 2016, 06:03 am Last Edit: Mar 25, 2016, 06:04 am by pegwatcher
Check out http://www.taydaelectronics.com/
They have a huge variety of components you will want and prices very low. Resistors and capacitors usually are bought in quantities of ten. Minimum order $5.00 US and you can get a lot of stuff for $5.00. Stuff comes packaged in small zip-lock bags and contents clearly marked on the bag.
Shipping is a buck and change, delivery in a few days from Colorado.
I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

JimboZA

Check out http://www.taydaelectronics.com/
They have a huge variety of components
Just out of interest I went for a look... amazed to see the first component under their best sellers: the 555!

(Wikipedia says they were making 1B of those suckers a year in 2003.)
Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

Go Up