Go Down

Topic: How to get ppm values from MQ4 and MQ7 sensors? (Read 12716 times) previous topic - next topic

zeetherocker

Hello everyone!
I need help very badly. I'm working on my first project with arduino and the MQ sensors, and I'm stuck at getting the ppm values. I'm building a rover that is controlled by android and senses methane and CO levels in mines. Everything is working perfectly apart from the fact that I'm unable to convert the analog values to ppm.
CO is not a big issue because I only want to detect it, what I'm really worried about is the methane levels, since I have to detect and display it. How do I do it?
Since this is my first time experience, I have no clue what to do. I googled a lot and found a few articles but I don't really understand how it works. I don't know how to find out the Rs and R0 values, since I bought the sensor mounted on a board, I don't know the values of resistances used. I'll provide a photo of the sensor here.
Please help me this problem! I'm stuck at this one stage.

jremington

Regardless of the details, no sensor will give reliable measurements without careful calibration. Those cheap sensors are not reliable and also not stable, so they have to be calibrated frequently to be of any use at all.

To do that calibration you need an accurate, calibrated sensor, which calls into question the reason for using the MQ series at all. You certainly would not want to use them if human safety is an issue.

JimboZA

Side issue: I hope you managed to make the drive motors flash-proof.

Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

batman_d408

Apr 14, 2016, 02:11 pm Last Edit: Oct 13, 2018, 10:04 pm by Coding Badly
I have used a few of MQ series gas sensors and the output from these sensors is in voltage, and you can read voltage using ADC and convert into PPM.

I tried out these codes from the following links also and they worked well for me. These are in arduino also at this repository and you can reconfirm your code also from here for conversions.

https://github.com/ControlEverythingCommunity/MQ4

https://github.com/ControlEverythingCommunity/MQ9

Thanks.. :)

jremington

MQ series gas sensors and the output from these sensors is in ppm only
The MQ series output is a voltage across a load resistor.

Grumpy_Mike

You need a known concentration of methane in order to calibrate your sensor. Do you have one?

Also the sensor's heater needs to be on for 48 Hours before you calibrate it or indeed take a measurement with it and expect any accuracy.

Grumpy_Mike

deshansliaq

No clear answer. How to calibrate it ? Is it worthless to measure CO using these sensors ?
Deshan Perera
Research Scientist
Industrial Technology Institute

Grumpy_Mike

Is it worthless to measure CO using these sensors ?
I would say so yes.

See this other recent thread on the topic
calibration

Go Up