Go Down

Topic: RFID Reader for library (Read 566 times) previous topic - next topic

isiaha

So for my school library I have a concept for using RFID tags onto books to help when sorting them. Basically each book is assigned a room A,B, or C. The tags that would be on the books would correspond to what room they needed to go in. I would need a reader that could scan the tags as the book(s) passed through the door way and emit a sound if one of the books weren't supposed to go into that room.

Now I'm no expert on modules,tags, or printers. But I was wondering If anyone could point me in the right direction as far as which of these I should use, and although I don't have a ton of money I am willing to pay if need be. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

patduino

Hi isiaha,

This looks like an interesting project and RFID tags would certainly work in this situation.  What you are describing is an RFID security scanner gate.  These systems can be pricy, especially if you need 3 of them -- one for each room.

See my PM for some alternate ideas.

Pat
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those that don't.

PaulS

Passive RFID tags can only be read from a short distance (a couple of centimeters) away. Unless you have a rather narrow doorway, or the people carrying the books will pass them close to the reader, one at a time, passive RFID is not going to work.

Active RFID has a much larger range, but co$t$ a whole lot more.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

isiaha

Passive RFID tags can only be read from a short distance (a couple of centimeters) away. Unless you have a rather narrow doorway, or the people carrying the books will pass them close to the reader, one at a time, passive RFID is not going to work.

Active RFID has a much larger range, but co$t$ a whole lot more.
I read that Passive RFID tags come in a variety, Low, High, and Ultra High, frequencies that would increase their range right ?

PaulS

I read that Passive RFID tags come in a variety, Low, High, and Ultra High, frequencies that would increase their range right ?
Are you asking us to confirm that that is what you read?

If you did read that (I'm not doubting that you did), then you certainly should have read the specs for the various readers (the frequency defines which reader can read the tag) to see what the range is.

Tags of one kind (frequency) can not be used with a reader that uses a different frequency, in the hopes of increasing the range.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

isiaha

Are you asking us to confirm that that is what you read?

If you did read that (I'm not doubting that you did), then you certainly should have read the specs for the various readers (the frequency defines which reader can read the tag) to see what the range is.

Tags of one kind (frequency) can not be used with a reader that uses a different frequency, in the hopes of increasing the range.
I was asking if it increased the range, but you answered that. I didn't even think of different frequencies, so that's extremely helpful. Thanks!

Go Up