Go Down

Topic: Voltage Detector (Read 4075 times) previous topic - next topic

raschemmel

Please confirm what happens when you short the copper strip to your circuit GND.
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

Joes

right my circuit looks like this:

i did try your theory (dlloyd) but led just stayed on.

The 220R i have increased it but it did not seem to help.

i have been using a voltage from 7 to 24v from a power supply.

shorting the copper strip to the circuit GND made no difference but if i short it to vcc (through a resistor) the LED go's out.

This is what i am seeing over the LED when voltage is present:

so are we looking at a capacitor now?

dlloyd

so are we looking at a capacitor now?
I would try 100µF across the LED ... this will give a time constant of 22ms.

raschemmel

shorting the copper strip to the circuit GND made no difference but if i short it to vcc (through a resistor) the LED go's out.
According to the schematic, shorting the strip to Vcc should blow out the base of the first transistor because there is no base resistor.
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

raschemmel

This is what i am seeing over the LED when voltage is present:

You must be in Europe. That's 50 Hz.

The led is always going to be dim when driven by a 50 Hz signal.

Is there any waveform with nothing touching the copper strip ?

Joes

nothing touching the copper strip:

with a 100UF over the LED:

yes 50Hz here 

dlloyd

The capacitor should make the LED stay OFF longer when a signal is detected at the copper strip.

Joes

but as you can see in post 20 pic two, after adding a cap the led is now on more than before :smiley-confuse:

raschemmel

What is the point of this project ?
WHAT EXACTLY do you need this for ?

Joes

What is the point of this project ?
WHAT EXACTLY do you need this for ?
i am making a relay card with a trip led on it to let you no that the power source has been lost, so i am switching 230v supply but there is no neutral local to the relay card. so thought this would be a good route to go but maybe not.

raschemmel

Joes

would like to keep it all on the PCB and is a lot more money 

CrossRoads

May 12, 2016, 09:08 pm Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:08 pm by CrossRoads
The relay card has 9V battery, you want it to turn on an LED when 230V that the relay contacts are switching is lost?
How about something like this?
AC from relay comes in, divide it down and rectify/filter it to a reasonable DC level, drive the base of a P-channel MOSFET.
When AC is present, MOSFET is off.
When AC is lost, Gate is pulled low, turning the MOSFET on and lighting the LED.

If not, please clarify your requirement further.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

raschemmel

May 12, 2016, 09:40 pm Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:44 pm by raschemmel
Why not replace led with optocoupler ?

Joes

(CrossRoads) thanks for your input that looks spot on :) few question:
1 The two first resistor (the divider) what resistances would you recommend? i have had a play with a volt divider calculator but was getting random numbers.
2 i have be using those diodes so do you think they would be adequate? Diode
3 100UF for the capacitor?
4 Resistor next to the cap 10K?
5 do you think this is an adequate Mosfet? Mosfet

Thanks Again

Go Up