Go Down

Topic: IDE Failure (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Tunkmountainman

Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Recently I was attempting to utilize a adafruit sketch for the Adafruit ESP8266 Feather Huzzah, with a Sparkfun ESP8266 Shield. While doing so I "Broke" my firmware. Now when I try to "Verify" the Blink sketch I get the following errors. Arduino version 1.6.5-r5 works great but 1.6.6 and above throw these errors...I have followed some forum members suggestions and started with a new install of these different versions...in their own directory and they still don't work. Looks like I am doomed to use version 1.6.5 forever :smiley-confuse: Any ideas would be MORE than appreciated.

Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated compiler.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/bin/, automatically converted to compiler.path={runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path}/bin/. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated tools.avrdude.cmd.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude, automatically converted to tools.avrdude.cmd.path={path}/bin/avrdude. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated tools.avrdude.config.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf, automatically converted to tools.avrdude.config.path={path}/etc/avrdude.conf. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
WARNING: Category '' in library EEPROM is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SPI is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SoftwareSerial is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library Wire is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
Library can't use both 'src' and 'utility' folders.

Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

ballscrewbob

There are a lot of clues in your text.

Some have reported success with IDE 1.6.9 under win 10 so its maybe worth trying.

However with win 7 I can only use ESP's with IDE 1.6.5 but use 1.6.9 for everything else.
Bit of a pita but it does work.

Also as your message states you could update the cores.

Goto Tools, Board, Board Manager, hit the More Info option for your installed boards and if there is an upgrade take it.

If it jumps to a web page then you already have the latest and can close the web page.

To update your libs goto Sketch, Include Libray, Manage Libraries, and follow the more info options like you did above.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated compiler.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/bin/, automatically converted to compiler.path={runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path}/bin/. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated tools.avrdude.cmd.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude, automatically converted to tools.avrdude.cmd.path={path}/bin/avrdude. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated tools.avrdude.config.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf, automatically converted to tools.avrdude.config.path={path}/etc/avrdude.conf. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
WARNING: Category '' in library SoftwareSerial is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
These warnings indicate that you're using a seriously outdated version of Arduino AVR Boards which could be the cause of the "Library can't use both 'src' and 'utility' folders." error that is the actual cause of the compile failure. I recommend using Arduino IDE 1.6.9 with Arduino AVR Boards version 1.6.11. I see no reason to use Arduino IDE 1.6.6 but if you insist then be aware that it is not compatible with any Arduino AVR Boards version over 1.6.9 so install 1.6.9 instead of 1.6.11.

To upgrade your Arduino AVR Boards version:
Tools > Board > Boards Manager... > Arduino AVR Boards(click on it) > Update(wait for it to finish installing) > Close

Let me know if that fixes the problem.
Per

adamsstephen

I am still getting these errors on 1.88 IDE in 2019.
Board is Arduino/Genuino Uno updated to v1.623
That was on a new install!
Using board 'uno' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
WARNING: Category '' in library Ethernet2 is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
Build options changed, rebuilding all

pert

I am still getting these errors on 1.88 IDE in 2019.
Board is Arduino/Genuino Uno updated to v1.623
That was on a new install!
Please do this:
  • (In the Arduino IDE) click File > Preferences
  • Check the box next to "Show verbose output during: > compilation
  • Click "OK"
  • Sketch > Verify/Compile
  • After the compilation fails you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages". Click that button.
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press "Ctrl + V". This will paste the compilation output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

If the length of the output exceeds the forum's 9000 character limit, save it in a .txt file and post it here as an attachment. If you click the "Reply" button you'll see the "Attachments and other options" link.

Go Up