Go Down

Topic: Upgrading, but to what? (Read 653 times) previous topic - next topic

Fulliautomatix

Hi,

I have a project that I've implemented on both a mini-pro and an UNO. The hardware and software is more or less the same in both versions.

I've come to the point where I'm running low on memory, the design uses about 90% of the 32k available and I get warnings whenever I compile.

I have some additional functionality I'd like to code which I know will push me above the 32k limit, so I think I'll be forced to upgrade the hardware, but the question is to what?

All I actually need is more memory from my arduino, not more functionality. Ideally I'd like a pin-pin replacement for the mini-pro with more than 32k memory, OR a pin-pin replacement for the UNO (again, with more memory), I don't want to upgrade to a mega because it's a bit too large (physically) for what I have in mind. Currently everything works at 5 volts, and I prefer to stick with this to avoid a major re-design.

What are my options? It seems that most of the arduino boards that are UNO-sized or smaller either come with 32k of memory (not enough) or operate at 3.3 volts - which would require a re-design of the rest of the board. Have I missed anything?

Thanks

(this is related to a previous post https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=420411.0)

Isaac96

Try the Bobuino. crossroadsfencing.com
ATMega 1284
32 I/O 
128K flash
16K ram
Do not PM me for help. I will delete immediately.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Isaac96

I had everything typed out and pow-my computer froze :)
Do not PM me for help. I will delete immediately.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

Fulliautomatix

Try the Bobuino.
Looks nice,  looking for a uk supplier.

spycatcher2k

OK - I'll buy them from him and add 25% margin - how many do you need?
Mrs Drew
-=-
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - UK PCB Fab Company
I will design & code for you, but I will also charge you (PM me)
If you don't like my answers, realize : I'm not being cheeky, I'm Just trying to prompt you to use your own brain/google etc.

spycatcher2k

Why a UK supplier? US to UK by DHL, UPS etc. is 3-5 days.
Mrs Drew
-=-
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - UK PCB Fab Company
I will design & code for you, but I will also charge you (PM me)
If you don't like my answers, realize : I'm not being cheeky, I'm Just trying to prompt you to use your own brain/google etc.

MorganS

The Teensy 3.2 might be a good option if you need that Micro/Mini form factor. 32 bit, standard clock speed 72MHz, 8 times more memory, 12 bit ADC and a DAC pin.

If you manage to exceed that, then the Teensy 3.6 is available on Kickstarter right now. More like a Nano form factor but heaps more functionality.

All Arduino code runs on the Teensy, unless you've used AVR-specific features like direct port writes. With the higher clock speed of the Teensy, digitalWrite() works faster anyway.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

INTP

This may be insulting your intelligence, but have you exhausted all the kinds of memory available?

Fulliautomatix

OK - I'll buy them from him and add 25% margin - how many do you need?
One

Why a UK supplier?
last few deliveries I've had from the US have all been delayed (for weeks) by UK customs demanding forms and money!

This may be insulting your intelligence, but have you exhausted all the kinds of memory available?
No insult. I'm sure I could shave 5 or 10% here or there, but the new functionality I want to implement will likely occupy an additional 30-40% of memory, so an upgrade will still be required.

Many of my libraries are based around use on a mega, and most log lots of messages to an SD card, these messages are held in progmem. When I reuse these libraries on smaller hardware I start to run out of memory. I've re-written a couple of libraries to use pre-compiler directives to remove many of the  messages, but this tends to get messy.

The Teensy 3.2 might be a good option
Thats it! completely forgot I bought one months ago for a project that never took off! Cheers

Go Up