Go Down

Topic: DVM test lead idea FYI (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

larryd

Nov 20, 2016, 04:53 am Last Edit: Nov 20, 2016, 06:42 am by LarryD
Thought this might be of interest to some.

I find making up a set of DVM meter cables as seen below can make meter testing easier.
Make up one banana plug cable (about 2 feet).
Solder male pin connectors to the testing end.
Make up as many probe tip ends as needed, install female pins on the meter side.
Change your probe ends as needed.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

larryd

Nov 20, 2016, 04:55 am Last Edit: Nov 20, 2016, 04:55 am by LarryD

No technical PMs.

outsider

Neat! (if I had all the "stuff" to do it)  :(   K++

tinman13kup

That's something I need to do. I actually think I have all the stuff to do it, other than the red shrink-tube. 

What I need is ideas on organizing all the different leads from all the different gear. Jumper wires seem to be a mess, and then there's all the different USB power cables
Tom
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

larryd

No technical PMs.

tinman13kup

"then there's all the different USB power cables"
Buy these:  ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-OTG-5-pin-F-M-mini-changer-adapter-converter-USB-male-to-female-micro-USB-/301326992651

That might help "a little", but I often have 4 or 5 usb powered devices hooked up, some to the computer, others to a 4 port charger.
  Then, while the meter leads you posted are neat, I also have 3 different dvom's, two o-scopes (2 leads ea), a function generator, and a logic analyzer (my fav, with 8 leads).
  That's a bunch of wires to keep tidy.

Your pictures have given me an idea for some of the clutter though. Dragging dvom wires from the back of the desk isn't ideal, but putting the dvom up front is in the way too. Perhaps I can wall mount the meters and use leads like you have pictured and bring them through the wire hole in the desk and have a panel up front labelled with the different meters, so I can just plug in the appropriate test lead to the meter I'm using.
  It solves some cable storage and allows me to bring the leads from the front of the desk.

As for yours, where's the micro grabbers? How are you going to grab a pin on a SOIC 16?

Tom
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

Boardburner2

Thought this might be of interest to some.

I find making up a set of DVM meter cables as seen below can make meter testing easier.
Make up one banana plug cable (about 2 feet).
Solder male pin connectors to the testing end.
Make up as many probe tip ends as needed, install female pins on the meter side.
Change your probe ends as needed.

I have a set that does the same , got them from maplins i think.
V useful, also extension lead is available.

larryd

Nov 20, 2016, 07:13 pm Last Edit: Nov 20, 2016, 07:46 pm by LarryD
I use velcro strips from Home depot to keep things organized.
~25 for $4.90
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.velcro-8-in-x-12-in-reusable-ties-25-pack.1000405172.html
OR
50 for ~7.96
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.velcro-8-in-x-12-in-reusable-ties-50-pack.1000405170.html

Edit:
You can also cut plastic tubes to length then wrap leads and insert into the tubes.

No technical PMs.

larryd

"As for yours, where's the micro grabbers? How are you going to grab a pin on a SOIC 16?"
Have those, forgot to include them in the picture. :(

No technical PMs.

Go Up