(yet another) newbie

I couldn't see a place to post this other than here given the forum looks rather huge!

Anyway here goes a hello to you all.

I've been a programmer for many years (C++, VB.NET, TSQL, etc, etc, etc) working in the UK for all sorts of wonderful people and organisations - everything from the military and NHS to small family run firms.

I have been aware of Arduino for a good few years but I have not had any reason to start learning about resistors and all this witchcraft I find you all talking about!

Now I do - and am kicking myself for not delving into this world earlier.

So here I am! 9 hours into owning an UNO R3 and absolutely loving it.

So far I have done the Blink thing with a switch then I threw caution to the wind and I've wired up a distance sensor and LED display that shows how far I am in centimeters my hand is with my mouse.

Wonderful! :smiley:

I'm possibly a little more excited about what I have achieved so far than I should be.

Anyhow, all that being said this post is about saying hello - Hello everyone! :smiley:

Welcome, best of luck in your further endeavors. Having another C++ programmer to answer questions can only be a good thing here.

CrossRoads:
Welcome, best of luck in your further endeavors. Having another C++ programmer to answer questions can only be a good thing here.

Thanks CrossRoads!

I've not been this excited about trying new things for many years. Last time was probably when I started writing Android software.

Putting circuits together was a little intimidating a few hours ago but I read Make:Getting started with Arduino this morning and things are starting to drop into place.

As I said I do have a specific project in mind but there's absolutely no way I'm going to ask for any specific direction/ideas with it until I am much further along - where would be the fun in that???