Go Down

Topic: Sound reactive Led Strips?? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

mineblocks47

I have a strip of WS2812b Led's and would love it if they did some cool things when hooked up with some music. no, i dont mean with a sound card on my arduino, just a simple code that receives sound from my PC. Would somebody be able to hit me up with some code or a program that can do this? thanks

PaulS

just a simple code that receives sound from my PC.
What, EXACTLY, does "sound" look like when it arrives at the serial port?
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

mineblocks47

Maybe like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOxCGzSEYw

PaulS

So, you haven't a clue?

That someone else was able to change the color and on/off state of some pixels, using some unknown process, does not mean that you know what that process sent to the Arduino, or how to use that data.

If you are going to use "just a simple code that receives sound from my PC", you MUST know what that data looks like.

mineblocks47

How about it changes color per beat or maybe turns blue for its bass of the music, green for the volume and red for the pitch?? They could blend quite well

PaulS

How about it changes color per beat or maybe turns blue for its bass of the music, green for the volume and red for the pitch?? They could blend quite well
How about if you come up with some CONCRETE requirements that you have a hope in hell of implementing?

Do some study. Learn EXACTLY what sound means. Look at what music is, in terms of a collection of sound waves. Figure out, based SOLELY on sound data, what the beat is. Then, think about how you are going to get something meaningful from the vibrating speaker cone on your PC.

There are plenty of applications that can analyze sound data, when then have some sound data to analyze, in some known format. No, not MP3.

Getting sound data from a microphone is not an easy project. Determining beat is non-trivial. Pitch of what note? The music I listen to is NOT a single tone of varying frequency.

Go Up