Go Down

Topic: LCD Programming: Instruction Set vs Arduino Library (which one to follow first?) (Read 987 times) previous topic - next topic

GolamMostafa

In the former semester, senior level engineering students were exposed to Arduino UNO/LCD Programming based on Arduino Library Functions.  They, in general, were happy at these quick and interesting methods of LCD Programming; but, few of them wanted to program the LCD using its Instruction Set first and then Arduino Library.

Please, let me know about your opinion/experience: In the coming semester, should I begin with the Instruction Set (where all timing functions would be generated using/addressing the internal registers of the LCD; Fig-1, 2) first and then the Library Function or the reverse? Please be known that the majority of the students (population: 135) were just feeling comfort in the LCD Programming using the 4-bit data lines library functions.  

Figure-1: Schematic of the LCD module with Arduino UNO with 8-bit data lines

Figure-2: Instruction Set of the LCD

jbellavance

Hi,

You are teaching
senior level engineering students.
They should be able to handle the LCD's instruction set.

I am not surprised...
that the majority of the students (population: 135) were just feeling comfort in the LCD Programming using the 4-bit data lines library functions.
Students are students. The less you ask from them, the less you will get.

The real question is: How much do you want from them?

Jacques
If I can help...

Go Up