Go Down

Topic: Small bug in IDE (Read 2274 times) previous topic - next topic

uCHobby

If you select to save from the file menu during a compile process, the compiler may fail due to some file access issue.

Should disable the file save during the compile process. This is not a major deal but might cause someone troubleshooting pain.
uCHobby: Hobby Microcontrollers

haughtonomous

I've learned it is best not to do anything until your current operation has completed. Sit on your hands for safety. The IDE is very vulnerable to interfering with itself!

robtillaart

I always thought of it as a feature to stop the compile process :)

In your way of reasoning maybe the whole IDE should be disabled while compiling? The risk with disabling either buttons (or all) is that if there is some unexpected error the button may stay disabled. To do this correctly and robust is a bit more difficult than you might expect.
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

frank26080115

I don't know if this has changed, but I lost a sketch before because the damn IDE doesn't autosave before compile... Unlike every other IDE I have ever used in my life.

retrolefty

I don't know if this has changed, but I lost a sketch before because the damn IDE doesn't autosave before compile... Unlike every other IDE I have ever used in my life.

Well I prefer the choice of saving or not. A lot of times I'm just playing with trying things on an existing sketch and have no intention of saving the results to the original sketch file. If I do want to keep the temporary changes I've made, it lets me do a save as so as not to change the original sketch file. I guess there is no perfect solution to meet everyone's needs, but auto anything can be a like living in a nanny state at times.  :D

frank26080115

Well I prefer the choice of saving or not. A lot of times I'm just playing with trying things on an existing sketch and have no intention of saving the results to the original sketch file. If I do want to keep the temporary changes I've made, it lets me do a save as so as not to change the original sketch file. I guess there is no perfect solution to meet everyone's needs, but auto anything can be a like living in a nanny state at times.  :D

There's a reason why all other IDEs with manual file management always either asks you or does an automatic save-all before a build, because it makes sense and respects the way files are organized so more complicated build scripts/makefiles can work properly. Arduino can get away with this only because it doesn't respect how files are organized since it moves everything into a temporary build directory first, this only works since Arduino "sketches" are always simple.

Arduino IDE is notorious for not giving you any options, it feels like a nanny state anyways. The lack of autosave is like giving North Koreans a "Make Fun of Kim Jong Il Comedy Club" but then telling them they can't tell anybody else about it.

qlue

does an automatic save-all before a build,

That would not be an option that would be dictatorship! It could be usefull to have the option of activating an autosave, but simply saving when you're just experimenting could ruin an otherwise working sketch. Besides, if you compiled one of the examples and the ide tried to save it without asking, it would run into the read-only settings for root!

frank26080115

Please use the quote feature properly, I never said that.

And I know that there's the chance of overwriting working code with broken code, but usually that's not such a big deal since there's always undo, source control, backups, and just plain knowing how to fix your mistakes.

Go Up