Go Down

Topic: Tinkerkit fries some of the modules (Read 304 times) previous topic - next topic

KlankOntwerp

Somehow my TinkerKit! fries some of its modules. I have bought all of the parts at Farnell so they are all genuine but somehow the potentiometer fried itself on I0 and also the thermistor started to smell. Both were killed at first connection. Of course I first connected and only then powered the Arduino.

Strangest thing is that things like the LDR are working fine (on port I0) so I have really no idea what is going on. I bought all of the TinkerKit-parts but almost don't dare to put other parts on the shield. What can I do to not fry all the other parts and why are they frying? They are all new from the antistatic bag.

ballscrewbob

Do you mean the tinkerkit IO shield ?

Make sure you are using the INPUT side not the output side (double check).

There is no reason it should be doing that what you see. My Leonardo LCD tinkerkit is still going strong.
What do you have the shield connected to and are ALL the pins inserted into  the main board (I presume a UNO ) correctly ? The small round notched areas orient to the back of the board and line up with the same notches on the UNO.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

KlankOntwerp

Dec 10, 2017, 12:05 am Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 12:11 am by KlankOntwerp
I am using the I0 input (white) side and of course with the cables oriented the only way they will fit. I just hooked up the LDR and it is still going strong. Powered off the Arduino, put the linear potentiometer on it, and *zap* died as well. LDR back on, no problem. Arduino is currently only running on 5V from my USB port.

Before they fry the power LED on the Tinkerkit goes from green to off, then it's already too late. So I have another burial just now. Quite pricey evening. In my years of using Pi's (and Arduino w/o Tinkerkit) and soldering guitars and fixing amp et cetera I have never seen something like this. It should work out of the box, right?

KlankOntwerp

Dec 10, 2017, 12:15 am Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 12:22 am by KlankOntwerp
Striking detail: The PWR and OUT LEDs on the LDR module do not light up but the LDR does send out values so the LDR itself hasn't been fried yet.

ballscrewbob

I agree that anything should "work out of the box" but have found that in practice its often worth double checking things especially connections.

Have had LiPo batteries with incorrect orientation connectors. {positive and negative reversed}
So it is worth checking that what you have in your hand corresponds to a known schematic for that part.
EG is the VCC really connected to the VCC or has it been connected to ground etc.

If it is as it should be then clearly you need to contact Farnell.
You also need to be sure your board is putting out the correct voltages and logic to the correct pins too before that.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

KlankOntwerp

I noticed only now that there are also tiny leds next to the connectors that probably should work so something is wrong on the shield. There is no visible damage on it and all etched paths look perfectly stock. I will measure voltage on the three pins.

Go Up