Go Down

Topic: How to calculate burdon and divider resistor value? (Read 582 times) previous topic - next topic

sonixax

Hi Everyone :)
I just want to make my own Current and Voltage monitoring system using Arduino!
I Already made one but it can only calculate current!
So, I have This CT censor (TALEMA INDIA 51/16 AC1030) and don't want to use those SCT-013-000 because everything will be in the box and I don't want to hook anything to any cable!
With my current circuit I use 56Ω Burden Resistor and 100K as divider.
So I need to know how can I calculate burden resistor and dividers to work with Emonlib Library. (This tutorial: https://learn.openenergymonitor.org/electricity-monitoring/ctac/how-to-build-an-arduino-energy-monitor)

Here is my Current circuit: http://www.the-diy-life.com/simple-arduino-home-energy-meter/

Should I use the same resistors and values for my circuit?
also Can I use Voltage sensing value output as input in current calculation code to have better results?

Thanks a lot and have a lovely day :)

jremington

Jan 12, 2018, 02:19 am Last Edit: Jan 12, 2018, 02:29 am by jremington
If you use a different CT sensor or resistor than in the tutorials, the best approach is to calibrate the system.

I do that by placing the CT sensor over one wire to an AC socket, and plug in various known wattage loads, like a 100 Watt light bulb, a 1000 W room heater, etc.  Then observe the Arduino output and calculate a "best fit" scale factor.

Excellent tutorial on sensor calibration at Adafruit.
No PM's please.

TomGeorge

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

MarkT

Datasheet for the sensor?

I would recommend only using sensors with a built-in burden resistor since operating one with a burden
resistor is dangerous.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

TomGeorge

Datasheet for the sensor?

I would recommend only using sensors with a built-in burden resistor since operating one with a burden
resistor is dangerous.
"without a burden resistor is dangerous"

Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Go Up