Go Down

Topic: Parallel wiring 5 led strips to 300W power supply (Read 734 times) previous topic - next topic

hk199899

I have 5 led strips that each one consume about 50W(5V),so i chose 300W power supply to power them up.Is that fine if i power the led strips in parallel without any resistor and wire the strips to arduino? Im a electric noobies so that i didn't have much basic knowledge about this field.

Grumpy_Mike

.Is that fine if i power the led strips in parallel without any resistor and wire the strips to arduino?
You need resistors in the data lines of each strip and a big capacitor on the power supplie's output.

DeXan74

If have used this and copied to my desk as a great simple reference.

http://www.eerkmans.nl/powering-lots-of-leds-from-arduino/

I solder in a 470ohm resistor as close to the LED strip as I can get.

A 16V 1000uf electrolytic capacitor goes on across the power supply to prevent a spike killing the strip.

Follow powering up and down instructions as shown depending on where the power comes form.

Calculate the amps your setup is consuming (60ma per LED), and ensure your power supply is rated higher than you need.

hk199899

Thanks for the replies !Now i know how to wire and power them up.But one more question, is that fine if i use jumper wires to build the circuit which has large current?

Grumpy_Mike

is that fine if i use jumper wires to build the circuit which has large current?
It depends on how big the current is. I am assuming you are not plugging the wires into solderless breadboard as that is not OK. If a wire is not thick enough it will get warm / hot and will drop a voltage across it. You can test that with a meter.

See this current-carrying-capacity-of-copper-conductors/

Go Up