Go Down

Topic: Bootloader upload works, sketch upload does not (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

numlo

Hello,

I have an Arduino serial single sided board with an Atmega8. I haven't used it in the last couple of months and decided to load something on it now. The bootloader upload works every time I try it(uploaded with the parallel programmer). The sketch does not work no matter what I do. I get the error
Code: [Select]
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I already checked the usual suspects and I can't find anything wrong.

Any ideas what's wrong?

JetIgniter2k

Hold the shift key down when you press the upload button in the Arduino IDE.  This will upload with verbose output.  It will show you exactly what avrdude is doing, line by line in the black bar at the bottom of Arduino IDE.  Post all that and maybe someone can spot the problem. 

numlo

Hello,

This is what I get when I try to upload using the parallel programmer. It doesn't work with serial either.

Code: [Select]
avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "E:\arduino-0018\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port            : \\.\COM1
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 19200
avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done.  Thank you.

My baud rate is set everywhere at 9600. 

I've tried it with the latest version of the Arduino IDE. Same result.

retrolefty

Well that is showing AVRDUDE trying to program your sketch using the serial bootloader on com1. If you want the arduino to upload sketches using a parallel programmer you have to modify the boards.txt file for the chip type you will be uploading to. As shipped the board.txt file sets all board types to use bootloader (serial) programming.

If your board is a serial board with a bootloader, why would you want to use a parallel programmer to upload sketches?

Lefty

numlo

Hello,
First of all thank you for the replies!
It was a stupid mistake. I accidentally set the jumper JP0 in the position 1-2 instead of 2-3 last time I worked with it and the serial communication was not working.

@ retrolefty: When I saw that the serial connection was not working I decided to try with the parallel programmer and did not change the settings on preferences.txt.

Nishant_Sood

what's the present status ,did you make it work?
"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!
www.winacro.com

numlo

Yes, it works. The JP0 setting was the problem.

Nishant_Sood

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!
www.winacro.com

Go Up