Go Down

Topic: Force Sensitive Sensor to Detect Activity on Bed (Read 190 times) previous topic - next topic

waristea

Right now I am building a system which uses 2 force sensitive sensor to capture some data of a bed.
The data will be used in a machine learning algorithm to determine whether a person is sitting down or lying down on the bed.
I put the sensors below the bed in order to cover more areas and also makes it work on any type of bed, regardless the size.

The problem is, as you may have already guessed, the sensor is already on its peak value (1024) without me doing anything, because the weight of the bed itself is enough to create such value.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?
Preferably using the same sensors which I have already been using (force resisting sensor).

Thanks!

Delta_G

Go look at the datasheet for the sensor you have.  What is the minimum and maximum force it can read?  Does the weight of your bed fit into that?  If the force of gravity on the bed is greater than the max the sensor can read then you need a new sensor or get it out from under the bed. 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

wvmarle

Two options.
1) your wiring is wrong (an FSR is to be wired as voltage divider with appropriate pull-up or pull-down resistor).
2) your force is out of range of the sensor.

As it's always 1024 the problems is most likely the first.

Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Go Up