Go Down

Topic: Getting Started (Read 875 times) previous topic - next topic

cmiyc

Just received my board and was excited to check it out. The "Getting Started" guide is surprisingly lacking on how to get started with the Vidor. It shows you how to run blink, but I didn't buy the Vidor to have another M0+ board on my desk. So, I'd like to verify what I have discovered so far.

1. You need the latest beta to use the board (as of now looks like 1.90) or use the web editor.

2. You need to install the SAMD Beta Boards package in the board manager. (The IDE prompts for it.)

3. You must manually install the 3 Vidor libraries from Github. (Don't appear to be included with the IDE, nor are they available through the Library Manager.) These do not appear to be available on the web editor. I'm surprised this step isn't mentioned in Getting Started at all.

4. The GUI mentioned at MakerFaire is not available. (I couldn't find it anywhere on create.arduino.com.)

If using the web editor, you are only able to program the SAMD. And if you're using the IDE you can only really what the 3 limited libraries allow. Is this the expectation?

P.S. Today was the first day I tried using the Web Editor. The description says "work out-of-the-box on the Arduino Web Editor, no need to install anything." Yet, the first thing you must do to make it work, is install a plugin.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

ballscrewbob

Sort of to be expected with a brand new board.

The MKR1000 was a PITA at the very beginning but I now see it as very stable and exceptionally reliable.
That too suffered from a lack of libs etc and on some OS required manual driver installs.

CREATE is a wonderful thing but as you say there is a plugin to install but it too has become quite painless and supports at least 4 major browsers.

Dont be too hard on it as I was on the MKR1000....I came to realise Arduino often dont time things quite as well as they could.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

DarioPennisi

Hi guys,
sorry if the out of the box experience has been sub optimal. actually the getting started guide here (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/MKRVidor4000) has detailed steps on how to install the java IDE and mentions the two libraries along with the samples. you're right in saying it would have been better to have those libraries included immediately in the official list but the release process is a bit slow and there's lot of stuff going on right now on the libraries.

regarding the GUI mentioned at maker faire, it has been announced to be released late september so it's a bit early to look for it. as we repeatedly said in every venue at the beginning we're only providing the precompiled images and the open source IP blocks which will be published later today.
please note that the Quartus flow is not supported at the moment and you should go that direction only if you really know what you're doing.

once again, until october FPGA should be considered as a "variable" set of hard peripherals we provide as precompiled images.
after october you will be able to assemble your own blend of peripherals.
at any time (this may change) if you chose to go for FPGA programming directly you should know what you're doing as we can't/don't want to support that flow at this time because it's too complex for most people.

in any case thank you for pointing out what we did wrong and for suggesting improvements. for sure this helps in not repeating the same mistakes.

cmiyc

and mentions the two libraries along with the samples.
Yes, it mentions the libraries but doesn't mention they aren't in the library manager. This omission isn't a huge roadblock, but seems strange.

there's lot of stuff going on right now on the libraries.
That is perfectly fine. A comment in the Getting Started Guide that says "for now, you need to download the libraries and copy them to your sketch/libraries folder" would go a long way.

regarding the GUI mentioned at maker faire, it has been announced to be released late september
I missed that. And I've had 3 other people on my blog contact me about where to download/access it. So I'm not alone in missing this annoucement.

at the beginning we're only providing the precompiled images and the open source IP blocks which will be published later today.
Sounds good (and in line with my expectations.)

please note that the Quartus flow is not supported at the moment...

if you chose to go for FPGA programming directly you should know what you're doing as we can't/don't want to support that flow at this time because it's too complex for most people.
Again, in-line with my expectations. (While I suspect others will feel otherwise, I'm not interested in low-level programming the Vidor. If I was interested in that, I'd use another platform.)

for sure this helps in not repeating the same mistakes.
No, thank you for clarifying. My Maker Faire write-up is on page 1 when searching google for the vidor, so I wanted to make sure I had answers to the questions people are asking me.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Go Up