Go Down

Topic: Maybe I'm vastly underestimating this... Logitech Revue rooting (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

barwick11

I'm brand new to Arduino (never even heard of it until yesterday actually), and similar devices.  I'm a computer scientist by background, with computer engineering, electronics and mechanical background, so I'm fairly confident in my ability to do tasks like this.  Problem is, I'm not sure exactly if I understand the process of what I'm trying to do (yet).

Basically, Logitec Revue, which runs Google TV software, needs to be rooted so it can access what other TV devices can access, but aren't blocked by mainstream media's fear of Google advertising.

The steps on how to do it are listed below, but I've no clue on why I'd need a USB-TTL board, vs simply connecting a custom wire to my PC's serial port, and using a software program on my computer to do essentially the same thing as the USB-TTL board?

http://www.gtvhacker.com/index.php/Steps_to_get_root

Can anyone help me understand what the board does exactly that a laptop with serial connection can't do?  Again, pardon my noob ignorance please.

johnwasser

RS232 serial ports use +12v/-12v signal levels.  TTL  (Transistor/Transistor Logic) uses +5v/0v signal levels (or sometimes 3.3v/0v).  You are likely to damage the TTL receiver if you connect an RS232 signal to it.

You can use a level shifter to convert RS232 to TTL.

Most modern laptops don't have a serial port and only have USB so USB-to-TTL is a more general solution.

If you have an Arduino you can pull out the ATmega chip and just use the USB-to-TTL part of the board as if it were a USB-to-TTL cable.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1G2qoGwMRXx8az71DVP1E81jShxtbSh5Hp

barwick11

Got it, that makes sense.

On that note, anyone in the Michigan area with one of these units want to make a few bucks helping me run this? :)

Senso

And RS232 is inverted compared to TTL signals, so you need something like a max232 to convert rs-232 to ttl and maybe a logic port to invert it then, or take the atmega328p out of the arduino and use the digital 0 and 1 because they are connected to the ftdi chip that is in fact an usb-ttl serial converter, only if you use the duemilanove or older, the newer Uno uses an atmega32u2 that does the usb-serial convertion, but it migh work as well.

Go Up