Go Down

Topic: Firmware Update 1.2.1 - available now, with BLE mode (Read 13219 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

Nov 17, 2018, 06:38 pm Last Edit: Nov 17, 2018, 06:38 pm by ballscrewbob
GRR dont talk to me about the vagaries of win 7, 8, 10 com port issues.
Usually about 14 or more devices LIVE so creeping com port numbers is my number one pet hate. ;)

I used to recommend locking in port numbers but with so many devices coming into contact with my also seasoned machine that can cause its own set of issues so I no longer tell folks to do that.

So now once I get past what appears to be the magic number of 35 I do a com port stack reset.

However I digress...Good to hear you are up and running.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

jomoengineer

Hi, I have run through the process of updating the Firmware on a new MKR1010 and the instructions worked perfectly.  However, when I run the CheckFirmwareVersion sketch again, it still reports an error although the firmware version does show 1.2.1.  I have the latest WifNINA version 1.3.0 installed, but it looks like it is set to check for 1.2.0 specifically.

grep -rH "WIFI_FIRMWARE_LATEST_VERSION" ../Arduino/
../Arduino/libraries/WiFiNINA/src/WiFi.h:#define WIFI_FIRMWARE_LATEST_VERSION "1.2.0"

This is the error I see from CheckFirmwareVersion:

WiFiNINA firmware check.

Firmware version installed: 1.2.1
Latest firmware version available : 1.2.0

Check result: NOT PASSED
 - The firmware version on the module do not match the
   version required by the library, you may experience
   issues or failures.

Cheers,

Jon

sandeepmistry

Hi @jomoengineer,

Yes, I can confirm this is an error in the sketch. 1.2.1 is the latest version.

The next version of the the WiFiNINA library will change the == to a >=: https://github.com/arduino-libraries/WiFiNINA/commit/7798c812c4c8fe070247b382fc1b80c66234eaa3

H4zz4N

Followed the instruction for updating MKR Wifi 1010 to firmware 1.2.1 and it worked. Thanks for the update.  :)
Serial.println(" Put your response code here, to run once.  ")

jomoengineer

So, with firmware 1.2.1 loaded on the MKR WiFi 1010 is it expected that only BLE support should work or should the WiFi radio work as well?  I tried the WifiNINA WiFiWebClient example with FW 1.2.1 and it will not connect to a router.  If I downgrade to 1.1.0 it connects without issue to the WiFi router.   

Is this expected?

sandeepmistry

Hi @jomoengineer,

It's supports both WiFi and BLE.

I just tried the WiFiWebClient example here and all was fine. If you could provide more details on your setup that would be great.

jomoengineer

Thanks for the confirmation that the FW works with WiFi as well.

For me, it has been a bit hit and miss with regards to whether or not the 1010 connects to my router; maybe just once or twice thus far with FW 1.2.1.  The same basic example under WiFi101 with a MKR1000 and the same router credentials ( I literally copied and pasted the values in arduino_secrets.h) works fine and the MKR1000 connects without issue.  The MKR WiFi 1010 only connects periodically but certainly not consistently.

The router is not broadcasting the SSID, but that should not be an issue since this is being hard coded in the arduino_secrets.h.  I've tried this with Windows 10 as well as 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04 with the same results; the Attempting to connect message just keeps cycling through.

"Attempting to connect to SSID: MySSID"

stone_li

:) Thanks for this V1.2.1 update. It saved my broken 1010 which was broken by by firmware updater...BTW. When update is done, there is always a error hint of "verify failed!" I ignored it and reboot the 1010 and it works. So, I guess there is some timing issue during vefification? Anyway, it works!

jwestmoreland

Hello All,

I was going to ask - it isn't possible to brick the 1010 is it?

When it comes to u-Blox and bricking - I seem to have a knack for that - Ha-ha. 

But I think the previous post answered that.

I suppose a similar process is to be followed for the Vidor and Uno Rev2 - correct?
I will look in those forums.

Thanks,
John W.

ballscrewbob

It is possible to SEMI brick it but patience and attention to detail seems to get them going again.

Take Care and all will be fine.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

jwestmoreland

I've updated my MKR 1010's and the Vidor 4K; the Uno is updating now.  I saw Vidor is only rev 1.1.0 - but I had kicked off the update on that before seeing it only went to 1.1.0 - I thought since the NINA device is common across these boards that the 4K had 1.2.1 available also.

Thanks,
John W.

eric_edm

there are examples only for peripheral mode. Is the central mode supported ? if not, do you have any plan to support central mode in the future ?
Thanks, Eric.

TimArt

I would also like to know if there is a central mode we can use instead of peripheral mode.
After digging in the source code a bit, I found the BLEDevice class which seems to be what is referred to as "central mode" and the BLEService class which I believe is associated with "peripheral mode".

What I want to do:
I would like my laptop computer to connect to my Arduino MKR1010 which would be acting as a server. I want the computer to recognize the Arduino as a regular bluetooth device (similar to a bluetooth speaker), then after connection, I want the MKR1010 to stream sensor data to my laptop (this will most likely be setup in a polling mechanism where the computer polls the Arduino for sensor data).

Is there a way I could use the BLEDevice class to achieve this?

Thanks,
Tim

sandeepmistry

Hi @TimArt,

I would also like to know if there is a central mode we can use instead of peripheral mode.
Currently the ArduinoBLE library only supports peripheral mode, central mode support will be added in a later release.

I would like my laptop computer to connect to my Arduino MKR1010 which would be acting as a server. I want the computer to recognize the Arduino as a regular bluetooth device (similar to a bluetooth speaker), then after connection, I want the MKR1010 to stream sensor data to my laptop (this will most likely be setup in a polling mechanism where the computer polls the Arduino for sensor data).
It seems like you want the board to act as a peripheral device.

Note the board only supports BLE and not bluetooth classic.

fabelizer

Feb 15, 2019, 04:54 am Last Edit: Feb 15, 2019, 05:15 am by fabelizer
Got a new MKR WIFI 1010 today. Getting it set-up to go. Ran FW version checker...out of date...got the warning. Loaded the updater util, pressed the plugin button, all good so far...shows success.

Loaded the checker again and looked in the monitor to see:

Code: [Select]
WiFiNINA firmware check.

Firmware version installed: 1.2.1
Latest firmware version available : 1.2.0

Check result: NOT PASSED
 - The firmware version on the module do not match the
   version required by the library, you may experience
   issues or failures.

Now, since I am .1 ahead of the game, and I see a BLE build was released, I ass-u-me this will not be a problem, and soon a new code library update will be out in a day or so that makes this all better. If that is not the case, please let me know! ( I am having other IDE issues, so far affecting only ESP32 boards, and I have to wonder if this is related somehow. )

Edit: OOPS...sorry now I see the answer above. Also ran the WiFi Scanner without issue.

Thanks!
-fab

Go Up