Go Down

Topic: Slow Windows load even with SSD (Read 374 times) previous topic - next topic

nhungthientai

Some 2 or 3 weeks ago I started having this problem. The Windows loading screen, which did not take 5 seconds before, now takes several minutes. Once logged in to OS, everything works fine.

I do not know if it has to do, but worth mentioning: I changed my 1TB HD (many bad sectors) for a 240GB Kingston SSD (SA400S37240G) about 1 year ago. As I'm not spacious use it just as storage device. I had never had an SSD before, so my experience was one of the best, I do not know how I got so long without.

I've run benchmark tests (Data LifeGuard, CrystalDiskInfo, and CrystalDiskMark) on the SSD, and they've all looked healthy and perfectly functional. I've run around several antivirus and antispyware (ESET, Norton Rescue Tool, CCleaner, SUPERAntispyware, Karspersky and Windows Defender, of course). They found one or another suspect or allegedly dangerous file, but they did not solve the problem. I also ran Defraggler to see the level of fragmentation (17%) as a curiosity, since as far as I know, fragmentation, for an SSD, makes no difference.

Everything indicates that SSD is not the culprit, but I do not know everything and I'm here because of it. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

A couple of things to check:

1) Is the SSD your Windows drive?
2) Is there plenty of free space? If not make some
3) A program might be delaying startup (press CTRL-ALT-DEL > Task Manager > Startup and check what runs on startup, disable anything that you know is safe. Google anything else to make sure it's not important
4) Delete any unnesscary programs you might have installed
5) Check device manager for any issues on other devices.

You are correct defrag is not an issue with SSD's.

See how you get on with that to start :)

Robin2

Some 2 or 3 weeks ago I started having this problem. The Windows loading screen, which did not take 5 seconds before, now takes several minutes. Once logged in to OS, everything works fine.
What has this got to do with this Arduino Forum?

Questions about Windows should be asked on a Windows Forum.

...R

PS ... Scrap Windows and use Linux.
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

PS ... Scrap Windows and use Linux.

Can't disagree with you, but I find Windows the easiest to use for casual browsing.

I did purchase a Mac but never got on with it, I now have a dual boot Windows/Hackintosh which works perfectly and allows me to dip in and out. Plus Mac is useful for jailbreaking stuff.

What Linux distro do you use?

Robin2

What Linux distro do you use?
I'm using Linux Mint which is a derivative of Ubuntu.

I can't see how the operating system affects browsing unless you prefer Internet Explorer to Firefox or Opera or Chrome.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

I'm using Linux Mint which is a derivative of Ubuntu.

I can't see how the operating system affects browsing unless you prefer Internet Explorer to Firefox or Opera or Chrome.

...R
I think I was misleading, browsing etc.. would indeed be fine on any platform.

I just have too many programs/video editors etc.. that I am familiar with to be bothered to change - being honest :)

I'm curious, do you still run antivirus/firewall on Linux? Mint looks quite nice actually, I'm guessing there's a USB bootable version.

Robin2

I'm curious, do you still run antivirus/firewall on Linux?
No

Mint looks quite nice actually, I'm guessing there's a USB bootable version.
You can create a bootable USB

If you just want a version of Linux that runs from a USB stick have a look at Puppy Linux. It's forte is older PCs.

...R

If you just want a version of Linux that runs from a USB stick have a look at Puppy Linux. It's forte is older PCs.
What about for high end PC's? :)

Robin2

What about for high end PC's? :)
Puppy will run on a high end PC - if that is what you are asking.

...R

Go Up