Go Down

Topic: Yay Space (Read 3082 times) previous topic - next topic

wolframore

I love rockets... this topic needed a post :smiley-lol:

Bad boys rate our young girls but Violet goes willingly :)
- this is a mnemonic from BEC

Darn..I got excited when I saw this forum.
Totally empty :)

I guess I am the only one in the UK who got to see Venus, the Moon and Jupiter all next to each other in the sky this morning?

Echo....echo....echo.... :)

wolframore

I saw that too!!! Nice crescent moon.

I saw that too!!! Nice crescent moon.
Yes it was nice, I ventured out in -5C (wearing PJ's) to take a photo of it over the road, the neighbours must have thought I was mad :)

wolframore

It was -30 C this morning in Chicago... some freak Polar Vortex thing for couple days... made the sky nice and clear!

It was -30 C this morning in Chicago... some freak Polar Vortex thing for couple days... made the sky nice and clear!
I just saw that on our news, holy crap that must have been something!

bos1714

Yes it was nice, I ventured out in -5C (wearing PJ's) to take a photo of it over the road, the neighbours must have thought I was mad :)
Can you post that pic? I couldn't see anything where I'm from.
Time line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.

Feb 01, 2019, 06:56 pm Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019, 07:00 pm by 877
Can you post that pic? I couldn't see anything where I'm from.
Sure no probs, not the best photos in the world :)

Venus on the left, Jupiter on the right.

LINK

TomGeorge

Hi,
I think the problem is that there is no way to advertise to other forum members that there is a new theme.

Its almost worthwhile having a splash screen when you log in to inform members of forum changes.

Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

wolframore

It's too cold for space in Chicago. Come March or April I will start going out to the Tripoli Amateur rocket launches. Maybe it's a good time to start a project for it.

srnet

One thing I would love to experiment with is a LoRa based PocketQube (50mm x 50mm), I have a design that ought to work even and most of the code is done.

LoRa ought to have enough range that you would be able to receive messages from orbit with simple handheld receivers based on Arduino Pro Minis.

I can pay for the build cost, around £150, all I need is for someone to sponsor the launch, a bargain mere £25,000. 

Any offers ?
http://www.50dollarsat.info/
http://www.loratracker.uk/

wolframore

Nice. I'm not sure if LoRa will reach 330,000 ft for edge of space. I'm working on my FCC Amateur radio license for some short wave highpower transceivers. I'm only looking for 50,000 feet tops.

srnet

I'm not sure if LoRa will reach 330,000 ft for edge of space.
No problem with that, LoRa would be good for two way comms at well over 1000km. 

One of the issues with small and low cost satellites is that the International Amateur Radio Union, who allocate the frequencies, are really keen that you have two way comminications so that you can turn of the transmissions if requested.
http://www.50dollarsat.info/
http://www.loratracker.uk/

AWOL

I'm curious - would LoRa cope with the Doppler shift of orbital velocities?

A few years back, I listened to a ham conversation between Tim Peake on the ISS and a school in the UK, whilst watching the signal on a waterfall display - the slant was quite noticeable!

I've always wanted to get involved in space stuff, I wish I was clever enough to work for NASA or similar.

As I am in my early 40's, with kids, good job, commitments and live in the UK, it seems that probably won't happen.

But, I do have plenty of free time. So I always wondered how I could contribute towards something huge, like getting humans to Mars...

Go Up