Go Down

Topic: Timing of various functions on ATMEGA 328P chip (Arduino Uno, Arduino Nano, etc) (Read 2082 times) previous topic - next topic

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

westfw

And, yes regardless of whether Serial.begin(value) is set to 9600 or 115200 or even 250000; the results of the timing of Serial.print(""); are the same...
This is extremely unlikely, and does not match the behavior of a simple test sketch I put together:

Code: [Select]
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(256000);
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
  Serial.println("hello");
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);
}

lastchancename

ASIDE:
This quite a useful discussion, despite the initial claims being questionable - it exposes the thinking and methods needed to optimise and understand the relationship between expectations and the results.

Compilers, optimisers and significant understanding is required before truly clean and efficient code can be delivered.
Thanks for starting the conversation OP !
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

Robin2

I agree this is an interesting and useful Thread.

However it does not seem to me to be appropriate for the "Introductory Tutorials" section. I can't imagine any part of this Thread being relevant to a newbie.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

westfw

I can't imagine any part of this Thread being relevant to a newbie.
"How fast is an Arduino?" is a pretty valid newbie FAQ.
It's difficult to answer in a meaningful way, since most of the people who have to ask that question have an equally poor understanding of how fast a computer needs to be to accomplish particular tasks.  "Can by Arduino do two human-interface tasks at once?" is about as common as "What's the best camera for image analysis on my Arduino?"

lastchancename

That last post throws me back to the early 80s...

Multi-processor 4MHz Z80 system running six users and printers with database, and menuing with character-based applications written in CB/86 !
Fast and reliable.
Each processor board running multi-user DR-DOS, had its own 64KB RAM, and shared access to parallel disks.

Those were the days.
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

Robin2

"How fast is an Arduino?" is a pretty valid newbie FAQ.
Perhaps. But I don't think a Newbie asking that question would find anything useful in this Thread. S/he would be expecting an answer in non-technical terms.

If I asked a 4 star chef if I would like spaghetti bolognaise I would not wish to receive a long diatribe on the ingredients in good quality spaghetti.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up