Go Down

Topic: Arduino Geiger Counter DIY (Read 28 times) previous topic - next topic

karlinperth

I too have tried to cobble this together with zero success..

The geiger tube side is fine and I've popped in a simple transistor circuit to register events by flashing an LED and clicking a piezo and waving it near radium dials on old clocks sends the thing haywire so no problems there, however the Arduino interface fails.

Earthing pin 2 registers a count, tapping away against earth registers multiple counts, but nothing I've tried beyond that works.  I added multiple transistor switching circuit variants and even a pulse extender but unless pin 2 goes hard to ground there's no count.

I am a total newbie to Arduino so peering at the code leaves me bewildered however I see there's a few things in there that even to my novice eye make no sense or look weird.

I suspect we'd need a competent arduino coder to eyeball it and make a decent amendment to the code for us to use.   I'd also prefer the thing accept a rising pulse rather than trying to use the pulse from the geiger tube to switch pin 2 to ground since that's a lot easier to work with

Basically whatever I do with the basic geiger tube circuit works, whatever cobbled together LED/clicker works whether connected via capacitors, resistors or transistors - but nothing whatsoever gets the Arduino to count

TomGeorge

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html . Then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

You would be better off starting this as a new thread.

Thanks.. Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Go Up