Go Down

Topic: Ethernet over usb? (Read 443 times) previous topic - next topic

bertmad3400

Hi all,

I have for a long time been working on a project now that is using a serial connection to communicate with the computer. I have developed a windows and android app for this purpose but I would like to be able to use the device without needing to use this software just in case I will find myself in a situation where I won't have this software available.

So I have for a long time been looking at different options including everything from making the Arduino MKRzero - that this is based on - emulate USB storage to using windows drivers. Unfortunately, none of this worked for me so now I'm looking at running a local browser from the Arduino over USB so I can use the browser instead of the windows/android software. The only problem is the fact that I have no idea if this is possible?

I would like to avoid using an ethernet shield (which otherwise would be the obvious solution) but instead, run ethernet over USB. But if it's hardware requirements that are needed then please let me know. You see I'm also planning on printing my own custom PCB version of the Arduino MKRZero stripped of all the features I do not need (like battery connector and a lot of the pins) so it would be possible to add other hardware in that process.

I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks on beforehand!

Coding Badly

Do not cross-post.  Other threads removed.

PaulS

but instead, run ethernet over USB.
Can you find ANY device that does this?
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Juraj

Apr 04, 2019, 05:29 pm Last Edit: Apr 04, 2019, 05:36 pm by Juraj
Can you find ANY device that does this?
modem? null modem RS232 connection?

some years ago I did a web framework speed test with two computers connected with a RS232 cable with low baudrate. the webserver run on one computer the browser was on the other. it was configured as modem connection and run over TCP/IP. It was on Windows 7 maybe

Juraj

so you would need a TCP/IP stack for Serial on the Arduino side.
there is an abandoned SerialIP implementation
https://playground.arduino.cc/Code/SerialIP/

mariobac

Access USB Devices on the Web

How to WebUSB-enable a compatible Arduino board

The following text, comes from the first link:

Let's see what you could expect with the WebUSB API:

Buy a USB device.
    Plug it into your computer.
    A notification appears right away, with the right website to go to for this device.
    Simply click on it. Website is there and ready to use!
    Click to connect and a USB device chooser shows up in Chrome, where you can pick your device.

ieee488

Access USB Devices on the Web

How to WebUSB-enable a compatible Arduino board

The following text, comes from the first link:

Let's see what you could expect with the WebUSB API:

Buy a USB device.
    Plug it into your computer.
    A notification appears right away, with the right website to go to for this device.
    Simply click on it. Website is there and ready to use!
    Click to connect and a USB device chooser shows up in Chrome, where you can pick your device.

I am not sure what you are trying to say.

That linked Google's page is for developers to develop products using WebUSB API.
Which product has been developed? ? ?

gbafamily

Proposed in 2012 and commented by mbanzi but no progress. The idea is the Arduino appears to be a USB Ethernet gadget with its own IP stack (lwip?).

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=125389.0

Go Up