Go Down

Topic: Arduino Update (Read 287 times) previous topic - next topic

SierraGolfMike

I am on 1.8.5, if I update to the latest version will I have to reinstall any additional libraries or will the all remain as is?

ballscrewbob

That depends on if you set up your sketches to be elsewhere other than the default location.

If it is still the default location you are better to make a backup copy to another location.
If you changed the default you should be fine.

There was a recent report of sketches lost from the DEFAULT locale.

Bob.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

robademar

I've just installed 1.8.9 on my win 10.
It doesn't find my additional boards and libraries. I cannot find the new arduino libraries in C. When I installed previous versions the installer was asking where I wanted to place my libraries. With win10 app loader it didn't give me any choice.
The point is that I do not want to reinstall all boards and libraries I used in my sketches.
Is there any migration tool or suggestion?

ballscrewbob

You can save you preferences file and your sketches folder to a safe location.

When you have changed the IDE you can them move them back to where you need them.

Its not a hard or complicated process.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

iznobe

Hello , i ' m on a raspberry pi 3 with raspbian stretch , and it is impossible to install the 1.8.9 version of IDE.
Please could you give me a tutorial , how to do this install ?

pert

Hello , i ' m on a raspberry pi 3 with raspbian stretch , and it is impossible to install the 1.8.9 version of IDE.
Please provide a detailed description of the problem you're having, including the full text of any error messages.

pert

I am on 1.8.5, if I update to the latest version will I have to reinstall any additional libraries or will the all remain as is?
The only way you can lose libraries from an update is if you installed libraries to the Arduino IDE installation folder. When you update, everything in the Arduino IDE installation folder is permanently deleted. This is why you should always install libraries to the libraries subfolder of the sketchbook folder. The location of the sketchbook folder is shown at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. When you install libraries via Library Manager (Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries or Tools > Manage libraries) or Sketch > Include Library > Add .ZIP Library, they are automatically installed to the correct location. The sketchbook folder will not be affected by updating the Arduino IDE so your libraries and sketches stored in that location are safe.

There is one circumstance where you might install libraries to the sketchbook folder, and also to the Arduino IDE installation folder. That is when you have the Arduino IDE in portable mode:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/PortableIDE
If that is how you have your sketchbook configured, you should be sure to copy your portable folder to a safe location before updating the Arduino IDE, then copy it back to the Arduino IDE installation folder after the update.

pert

I've just installed 1.8.9 on my win 10.
It doesn't find my additional boards and libraries. I cannot find the new arduino libraries in C. When I installed previous versions the installer was asking where I wanted to place my libraries. With win10 app loader it didn't give me any choice.
The point is that I do not want to reinstall all boards and libraries I used in my sketches.
Is there any migration tool or suggestion?
Did you switch from the Windows App Store version of the Arduino IDE to the standard version of the Arduino IDE?

The Windows App version stores installed boards and your preferences file in a different folder from the regular version of the Arduino IDE. So you need to copy the C:\Users\{username}\Documents\ArduinoData folder to C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Arduino15 and then restart the Arduino IDE. That should get you back the installed boards, and your previous preferences configuration.

JohnRob

Why would one use the Windows App vs the standard version?   Typically I shy away from Windows apps.

Please do not PM me with thread based messages.  If your thoughts are worth responding,  the group should benefit from your insight.

Geek Emeritus

install the 32 bit version, not the 64 bit version. run install.sh with the "execute in terminal" selection
All PMs will be deleted unopened due to arrogant argumentative pot stirring Malfoys.
 If you have not read "How to use this forum - please read", in particular: "7. If you are posting code or error messages, use "code" tags":  expect rude responses

DrAzzy

Why would one use the Windows App vs the standard version?   Typically I shy away from Windows apps.

A wise reaction, windows store is best avoided. The normal IDE is recommended.
ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x313/x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts (some assembled), mosfets and awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

iznobe

Please provide a detailed description of the problem you're having, including the full text of any error messages.
ok so, i ' ve downloaded the https://www.arduino.cc/download_handler.php?f=/arduino-1.8.9-linuxaarch64.tar.xz and the
https://www.arduino.cc/download_handler.php?f=/arduino-1.8.9-linuxarm.tar.xz and tried to install them on my RPI 3B+ same result with both files .

i , ve extracted files on my /home/pi/Downloads directory , no problem ( gui ).

after this step i opened a terminal and go in the directory  : cd /home/pi/Downloads/arduino-1.8.9
then , writing this in the terminal : bash install.sh

and had this errors : pi@Nouvelle:~/Downloads/arduino-1.8.9 $ bash install.sh
Adding desktop shortcut, menu item and file associations for Arduino IDE...
rm: impossible de supprimer '/usr/local/bin/arduino': Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
Removing symlink failed. Hope that's OK. If not then rerun as root with sudo.

rm: impossible de supprimer '/usr/local/bin/arduino': Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

ln: impossible de créer le lien symbolique '/usr/local/bin/arduino': Permission non accordée
Adding symlink failed. Hope that's OK. If not then rerun as root with sudo.
 done!
pi@Nouvelle:~/Downloads/arduino-1.8.9 $

so i tried with sudo but same thing .

when i ' m trying to launch arduino IDE , the pi is working about ten seconds but nothing happens : don t launch IDE .

pert

ok so, i ' ve downloaded the https://www.arduino.cc/download_handler.php?f=/arduino-1.8.9-linuxaarch64.tar.xz and the
https://www.arduino.cc/download_handler.php?f=/arduino-1.8.9-linuxarm.tar.xz and tried to install them on my RPI 3B+ same result with both files .
For the Raspberry Pi, you need to use the "Linux ARM 32 bits". You can't use the "Linux ARM 64 bits" download. So the second of those downloads is the correct one and you should not waste any more time trying to use the first one.

after this step i opened a terminal and go in the directory  : cd /home/pi/Downloads/arduino-1.8.9
then , writing this in the terminal : bash install.sh

and had this errors : pi@Nouvelle:~/Downloads/arduino-1.8.9 $ bash install.sh
Adding desktop shortcut, menu item and file associations for Arduino IDE...

These can be safely ignored. They are expected on the first installation of the Arduino IDE, when the symlinks haven't been created yet. The script was recently improved so that these errors won't be displayed to confuse people with the next release of the Arduino IDE:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/pull/8781

so i tried with sudo but same thing .
Are you certain. Even with sudo, you should still get the two "rm: impossible de supprimer" errors. However, you should not get the "ln: impossible de créer le lien symbolique" when using sudo.

when i ' m trying to launch arduino IDE , the pi is working about ten seconds but nothing happens : don t launch IDE .
Please open Terminal, start the Arduino IDE from the command line, then post here any output that's printed to the terminal.

Go Up