Go Down

Topic: Atmega getting tooo hot (Read 115 times) previous topic - next topic

adolfhack

Dear all,
i've made a PCB with attmega328 as brain,
the system works fine... until one moment when it starts faulsing..

i enspected the chip and found that it became very hot!

what could be wrong ?
why it does so, taking in consideration that it works fine before becoming hot and shuts down!

ballscrewbob

Please add the schematic.

Without it anything would be pure guesswork.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

adolfhack

HYG :)
By the way,
i started removing parts one by one... until i reached the ATMEGA
now its the only component welded to the PCB
and still keep geting hot !

ballscrewbob

With just guesswork (no schematic) but applying an incorrect voltage to an incorrect pin is the best guess.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

adolfhack

With just guesswork (no schematic) but applying an incorrect voltage to an incorrect pin is the best guess.

i tried giving 5V directly to the chip and with 9V via regulator as well .. both caused over heating

ballscrewbob

Nobody here can actually see what and where you are applying voltage.
Please bear that in mind and supply a schematic.

adolfhack

attached

ballscrewbob

Is that " YOUR" schem or one you pulled form the internet ?

adolfhack

hammy

Have you double checked your connections? You have nothing connected to its input /output pins ? You have 5v on Vcc?
( if you connected 9v here , it's dead).

adolfhack

Have you double checked your connections? You have nothing connected to its input /output pins ? You have 5v on Vcc?
( if you connected 9v here , it's dead).
the 9V goes to regulator which supplies the chip with constant 5V

Go Up