Go Down

Topic: RFID system (Read 223 times) previous topic - next topic

talf

Hii, Im trying to make a rfid system using arduino, I bought An antenna (840-960 MHz EPCclass1 gen 2 iso 18000-6c) and suitable tags, but I understand that I need a reader.
 Do I really need one?
How do I know what reader do I need?
So you have any suggestions from where to buy it?
Thanks.

xl97

Link to what you bought?

What is the 'antenna'?

Usually you buy the reader/writer and some cards or fobs...(together)

Grumpy_Mike

Apr 17, 2019, 01:29 am Last Edit: Apr 17, 2019, 01:31 am by Grumpy_Mike
That is a UHF RFID system. Yes you need a reader. These are expensive the cheapest one I have come across is this
https://coolcomponents.co.uk/products/simultaneous-rfid-reader-m6e-nano

Do you need the special properties of UHF like long range and multiple tags to be read in the same field? That is the only reason for going to UHF.

talf

Hii, thanks for your help, I need a reading distance of 4-5 meters and reading multiple tags. Is that reader fit to my antenna?

johns95

Hi Talf,

I have made an RFID system before using the Grove - 125KHz RFID Reader and RFID tag combo (125khz) - 5 pcs from Seeedstudio. It's very easy to use their products to get started with prototyping and I find their products are of high quality and also they have better documentation.

Hope it helps :)

Grumpy_Mike

Yes but that will not give the OP the requirements he states in reply #3. So why bother suggesting that system.

As the frequency of that reader matches the antenna then I guess it will do.

fibra59

Apr 18, 2019, 12:16 am Last Edit: Apr 18, 2019, 12:17 am by fibra59
Hii, thanks for your help, I need a reading distance of 4-5 meters and reading multiple tags. Is that reader fit to my antenna?
Rfid readers can detect tag on few cm. I have bought reader from ebay and it detect tags to max 2 cm distance.

For such distance you will need something much more powerful I think that there is no such powerful Rfid device.

Grumpy_Mike

Why are people commenting on this thread that have no idea about RFID?

Yes a cheap eBay reader will read 2cm, the readers I designed had a range of 18 inches. These were the 125KHz type.

But the range depends on the type of RFID system and the UHF ones can certainly obtain a distance of 4 meters.

xl97

Why are people commenting on this thread that have no idea about RFID?

Yes a cheap eBay reader will read 2cm, the readers I designed had a range of 18 inches. These were the 125KHz type.

But the range depends on the type of RFID system and the UHF ones can certainly obtain a distance of 4 meters.
^this.
He clearly answered here:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=610454.msg4139900#msg4139900
and explained the differences and why a "UHF" RFID system is what is needed.

talf

Mike Grumpy thank you very much for your help! You helped me a lot. Basicly thank you all guys.

Go Up