Go Down

Topic: Stepper motor not working.  (Read 159 times) previous topic - next topic

Lasses

I am currently doing a project where I need to get a nema 17 pancake working with a DRV8825 driver.
My setup is similar to the picture below.

The power supply for both the Arduino and the motor is from a 230V power plug.

The problem is, the motor is not reacting at all, not even vibrating, when turn on the power.

I mistakenly hooked up the motor to the driver without the conductor, and also have unplugged wires from the driver without cutting the power first.
Is there a chance I burned off the driver or the motor? I have tested the motor by hooking up a LED to each pair of wiring and the LED lights up when turning the motor. Is there I can test if I burned off the driver or is there another issue that I have not considered?
Thanks!

jremington

Apr 16, 2019, 01:21 am Last Edit: Apr 16, 2019, 01:24 am by jremington
For informed help, please read and follow the instructions in the "How to use this forum" post.

also have unplugged wires from the driver without cutting the power first.
That is one of the quickest ways of destroying electronic circuitry, especially when motors are involved.

Lasses

OK Thanks.

Is there a way to test the driver before I buy a new one assuming the other one is fried?

Robin2

Is there a way to test the driver before I buy a new one assuming the other one is fried?
I think the simplest test is to buy a new one.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

MarkT

Apr 16, 2019, 03:37 pm Last Edit: Apr 16, 2019, 03:37 pm by MarkT
Why would a motor vibrate when powered up?  Its just supposed to hold position.

I mistakenly hooked up the motor to the driver without the conductor, and also have unplugged wires from the driver without cutting the power first.
Is there a chance I burned off the driver or the motor?
Quite likely you've blown the driver.  Motors are more rugged than drivers!
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Lasses

I have tried lighting an LED with both the A1,A2 and B1, B2 pins and it only turned on when trying on B1 and B2 pins, so it seems like, as thought, that the driver is fried..

MarkT I meant if the motor didn't have enough power to spin. I just read a few other posts where people were asking about this.

Thanks for the replies.

Abenr

You have to say a few things about this situation.
1. If this is the case with a properly functioning device, first check if the motor cable is broken (connected); second check if the power supply voltage is much lower than before (maintenance adjustment power supply); the third check device resistance is Not much bigger than before (refueling or replacing the corresponding mechanical parts).
2. If you are developing a design driver, you should mainly check the phase sequence of the program.
3. If it is a purchased drive assembly machine, it may be that the pulse is too high or does not rise. Of course, this problem can occur when the motor is too small. It is more prone to problems and it is difficult to find that "stepping motor and equipment are directly connected", and this problem can occur even if the timing belt or the coupling is used under a large load. :)  :)  :)

Cheer!!

Go Up