can't install IDE on Ubuntu

I’ve spent 3 days wrestling with this installation and am at wit’s end.

OS is Unbutu 16.04.6 lts. I’ve performed apt update and apt upgrade (in place of apt-get) within the last 24 hours.

I downloaded arduino-1.8.9-linux64.tar.xz from the Arduino site.

I put the tar.xz package in another directory and extracted it there.

I examined the install.sh script to confirm RESOURCE_NAME=arduino-arduinoide was correct. The I ran install.sh (sudo ./install.sh).

I got this message:

--

Adding desktop shortcut, menu item and file associations for Arduino IDE...
rm: cannot remove '/usr/local/bin/arduino': No such file or directory
Removing symlink failed. Hope that's OK. If not then rerun as root with sudo.

rm: cannot remove '/usr/local/bin/arduino': No such file or directory
Removing symlink failed. Hope that's OK. If not then rerun as root with sudo.

Done!

--

The next day, I did the same thing using arduino-1.8.9-linux32.tar.xz. And got the same results.

I don’t want to trash this Arduino project but I only have so much time to pursue it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Change to the directory where you extracted the IDE files. Usually it is ~/arduino-1.8.9. Launch arduino from command line using "./arduino".

Are you sure you are running 64 bit Linux? Examine the output of "uname -a" to be sure.

mickgobb:
I got this message:

Those messages are expected and normal with a fresh install of the Arduino IDE. You can safely ignore them. Now it's time for you to get to having fun with Arduino!

FYI, the install script was recently improved so that in the next release of the Arduino IDE it won't generate these warnings and cause unnecessary confusion:

I found why my install was NOT working!! I extracted the tarball to ~/Arduino (the sketch folder). I thought it would be less clutter to put it in there.

But when I finally decided to type in a terminal
~/Arduino/arduino-1.8.13$ ./arduino
I got this MOST helpful message:

Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS:
Set log4j store directory /home/myplace/.arduino15
Incorrect IDE installation folder: Your copy of the IDE is installed in a subfolder of your sketchbook.
Please move the IDE to another folder.

That is why I got the splash and then NOTHING!!

So I reextracted the tarball to "~/" and then ran

~/Arduino/arduino-1.8.13$ ./install.sh
and got....

Adding desktop shortcut, menu item and file associations for Arduino IDE...

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/local/bin/arduino': Permission denied
Adding symlink failed. Hope that's OK. If not then rerun as root with sudo.
done!

I actually went in and deleted the sym link in /usr/local/bin/ as root and that still did not help. But it does not seem to matter...

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.