Go Down

Topic: Connecting 5V to OUTPUT (Read 172 times) previous topic - next topic

Andrew1990

Apr 18, 2019, 11:26 am Last Edit: Apr 18, 2019, 11:28 am by Andrew1990
Hello everyone i have arduino Mega rev3, can i connect 5V to pin(OUTPUT) ?

pert

Andrew1990

What is "OUTPUT"?
for example pin 24 set as OUTPUT pinMODE

neiklot

I don't know the answer, but I'll ask on everyone's behalf, "Why?"

pert

That could be dangerous. If the pin is in OUTPUT mode and in the LOW state and you have 5 V connected to it, that's a short. That will cause the current on the pin to exceed its maximum rating, which could cause permanent damage.

Paul__B

I don't know the answer, but I'll ask on everyone's behalf, "Why?"
I'm with that!

Why?

DVDdoug

Apr 18, 2019, 06:25 pm Last Edit: Apr 18, 2019, 06:30 pm by DVDdoug
NO!  You should never "short" (connect) an output pin to a power supply or ground.   You should also never connect two outputs together.   The output has to be "free" to switch high or low and it should never be "forced" high or low.

Of course, you CAN connect an input to +5V or ground. 

And, it's OK to connect two inputs together although there's rarely a reason to do that unless it's inputs on two different devices.

Andrew1990

Ok thanks for reply.
NO!  You should never "short" (connect) an output pin to a power supply or ground.   You should also never connect two outputs together.   The output has to be "free" to switch high or low and it should never be "forced" high or low.

Of course, you CAN connect an input to +5V or ground. 

And, it's OK to connect two inputs together although there's rarely a reason to do that unless it's inputs on two different devices.
Ok, thank you for reply can you check my problem with input in this topic ? ;] https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=610670.0

Paul__B

You have not explained.  What were you meaning by asking this question?

Presumably you were trying to do something.  What were you trying to do?

Do you want the moderator to merge your two questions?

Go Up