Go Down

Topic: ccd camera to arduino (Read 122 times) previous topic - next topic

justinas2003

Apr 18, 2019, 09:09 pm Last Edit: Apr 18, 2019, 09:09 pm by justinas2003
Hello, I want to ask is it possible to connect CCD camera to Arduino Uno or Mega with composite cable? I have a CCD camera lying around, I tested it with TV it works fine. I want it to be hooked to Arduino and the to pc. I want to see a live video on pc display.

AWOL

What sort of resolution are you expecting?
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

gardner

I don't thing a 16MHz (or 20MHz) ATMega is anywhere near fast enough for this.

AWOL

I don't thing a 16MHz (or 20MHz) ATMega is anywhere near fast enough for this.
I've done useful commercial image processing on CCIR video on  a 20 MHz processor.
It did, however, have a somewhat faster ADC.
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

justinas2003

What sort of resolution are you expecting?

I really don't care about resolution.

gardner

I've done useful commercial image processing on CCIR video on  a 20 MHz processor.
It did, however, have a somewhat faster ADC.
I think the ATMega ADC can be operated at CLK/4 or 4MHz on a 16MHz.  This gives a sample interval of .25 uS -- fast enough to count out the length of horizontal sync pulses and distinguish the vertical sync from the horizontal for B&W NTSC.  But you'd only have about 4 instructions to drive your counting and state machine to time out the actual pixel samples.  Going CLK/8 or CLK/16 gives you more processing time, but at CLK/16 or 1Mhz I don't think the timing resolution is fast enough to do the business.
If you managed the frame capture, I suppose you could spit out a 64x48 4-bit deep at a few frames/sec over reasonable serial rates.  If you cranked up to a megabit/sec the overhead of loading data to the UART would seriously eat into the time needed to capture the video.
My back-of-envelope guesstimation is that this is not really feasible.

Go Up