Go Down

Topic: Arduino Driver Install "A service installation section in this INF is invalid." (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ingineer_74

yep, same here...will try to look at it some more on Sunday evening. 

this may be another thing to try but involves a little solder work or applying short/jumpers to the board...not sure if that's what's going on and seems really far-fetched.

https://nemochronicles.wordpress.com/2014/10/14/reset-the-atmega8u2-atmega16u2-of-your-dead-arduino-mega-uno/

ballscrewbob

Both of you please step away from the soldering irons LOL.

As neither of you have got to a programming state yet there is almost zero chance you need to start to play with DFU.

Those types of step are last resort after an errant sketch or corrupted bootloader was pushed to a board.

Thanks for helping each other out btw that's the whole idea of forums.

I need to catch up on where you are.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

Apr 27, 2019, 12:12 pm Last Edit: Apr 27, 2019, 12:12 pm by pert Reason: Embed image
I have a question for @krasnejv and @ingineer_74: There are three different downloads of the Arduino IDE for Windows:

Which one are you using?

The reason I ask is because I want to try to reproduce your problem with the driver and I want to make sure I set up my system the same as you.

krasnejv

I used the top one, the Windows Installer. But I have been considering wiping the installation and using the zip file to manually install to see if that changes anything. Haven't done it yet though. Thanks for the interest in our problem.

ballscrewbob

The win 10 "APP" has been known to cause issues for people.

Not been able to re-create the issue here either.

BTW for anyone who is doing a new install there are some clean up instructions attached.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

krasnejv

Both of you please step away from the soldering irons LOL.

As neither of you have got to a programming state yet there is almost zero chance you need to start to play with DFU.

Those types of step are last resort after an errant sketch or corrupted bootloader was pushed to a board.

Thanks for helping each other out btw that's the whole idea of forums.

I need to catch up on where you are.

Bob.

Yeah, although I'm quite proficient with a soldering iron, that whole procedure looks kind of radical to me. Last resort as you say. Thanks.

pert

I used the top one, the Windows Installer. But I have been considering wiping the installation and using the zip file to manually install to see if that changes anything. Haven't done it yet though. Thanks for the interest in our problem.
The difference between the Windows Installer and  "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" versions is that the installer installs the USB drivers and associates .ino files with the Arduino IDE.

I just did a fresh installation of Arduino IDE 1.8.9 Windows Installer version on a fresh installation of Windows 10 and was unable to reproduce the issue with the driver. During the installation, I'm prompted to install the drivers. After doing that, I plug in my Uno and the port shows up, no problem, no error.

krasnejv

The difference between the Windows Installer and  "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" versions is that the installer installs the USB drivers and associates .ino files with the Arduino IDE.

I just did a fresh installation of Arduino IDE 1.8.9 Windows Installer version on a fresh installation of Windows 10 and was unable to reproduce the issue with the driver. During the installation, I'm prompted to install the drivers. After doing that, I plug in my Uno and the port shows up, no problem, no error.
I have just finished performing all three installation procedures doing the cleanup procedure before each one with the same result. I've also tried doing the installs with the Arduino board plugged in the whole time. It doesn't make a difference.

By the way, I am using Windows 10 home if that makes any difference.

Can't seem to end this project.

By the way, when you say "a fresh installation of Windows 10" do you mean formatting the HD and starting all over again or doing a re-install over the existing installation?

pert

By the way, when you say "a fresh installation of Windows 10" do you mean formatting the HD and starting all over again or doing a re-install over the existing installation?
It's a virtual machine, so the former.

krasnejv

Well, in the last two days I have tried so many things I don't even remember them all. So far I have arrived here (please see the attachment, I don't know how to embed an image into a forum post). But no matter what I do it always tells me that the drivers won't work with the hardware.

Since ingineer_74 and I bought the same type of kit on maybe the same day (or close to it) and maybe from the same place (I got mine from Amazon), I am beginning to think that this is a hardware problem. Bad batch of UARTS maybe?

Of the 304 views (currently) of this post no one else has jumped in and said that they have had a problem getting an Arduino Uno working on Windows 10.

I don't know anyone locally that has a Uno that I could physically swap out to see if that's the case, so I'm kind of stuck. I guess maybe I'll send the kit back and order another one from a different source to see if anything changes. I won't do that for a little while yet, so if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks for listening.

pert

Please do this:
  • Start Windows Device Manager
  • Plug in your Uno.
  • Double click on the device that's added to the Device Manager tree after you plugged in the Uno.
  • Click the "Details" tab.
  • From the "Property" menu, select "Hardware Ids".
  • Tell me which VID and PID values are shown in the "Value" field.

krasnejv

krasnejv

I've done a search in the forum on "usb\vid_2a03&pid_0043" and found this thread from 4 years ago.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=306628.0

This seems to inply that there could be a HW issue (Arduino.cc vs Arduino.org). Could it be possible that this is rearing its ugly head again?

krasnejv

I found this review on Amazon for the exact same kit that I bought:

2.0 out of 5 starsWould not recommend.
April 15, 2019
Color: English Projects BookVerified Purchase
I could not program the included ATmega16u2 IC because the bootloader was never installed onto the chip, making the device basically DOA. I had to purchase another Arduino UNO directly from the Arduino website (one that was correctly pre-programmed) and use that second UNO to program the bootloader onto the first just to make it usable.

Don't waste your time buying this product from Amazon resellers and take it from me: buy yours directly from Arduino.cc

The only reason this product did not receive one star is because the rest of the components and instructional booklet arrived in this kit as advertised. Still, the main feature of this product (the Arduino UNO) did not work out of the box as expected and was overall a massive disappointment.
So it seems the problem is hardware related after all. I guess I should have read the reviews before I bought the kit.   :(

Does anyone know how to make this work?

pert

That's interesting you got an Uno with the arduino.org VID/PID. arduino.org and arduino.cc merged back together after some legal scuffling so I'd guess Arduino still has the rights to use the arduino.org VID, but I wouldn't expect them to actually use it, since they can use the original VID (2341). Perhaps there is still some old stock from years ago still on the market. The arduino.org VID/PID should definitely be supported though.

My Uno has a different VID/PID than yours, which might explain why I couldn't reproduce the issue. I'll try to change the firmware on my Uno's ATmega16U2 to use the same VID/PID as yours later today and see if I can then reproduce the issue.

Go Up