Go Down

Topic: MAX7219 keeps turning all LEDs ON on initial power up (Read 105 times) previous topic - next topic

Blaukomma

May 11, 2019, 01:26 pm Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 04:56 pm by CrossRoads
Hi guys,

i`ve a little problem with my MAX7219 and a 5 digit 7segment display.

Here are all necessary facts:

Set-Up:
2-layer PCB, MAX7219 as SIOP24 SMD Package, Current Resistor is 33k, 5V Power Supply over VCC Plane with decoupling capacitor, ground plane. Connection between ┬ÁC and 7219 is less than 1 inch.
Display is an "3651AB" 5digit 7-segment common cathode display(chineese). Controller is an Teensie 3.2, the MAX7219 is connected to GPIOs.

When i power up the PCB all 5 digits are turned on and yes.. this is all.. The Datasheet of the 7219 says:

"On initial power-up, all control registers are reset, the
display is blanked, and the MAX7219/MAX7221 enter
shutdown mode."

So my MAX7219 wont even start his basic startup routine even before i applied any kind of code to him..

Any ideas what could cause him to be so "enlightening" without my permission?..

Even through he`s firing up the leds all the time i tried to shut him down with attached code. (without success). My scope says the controller is sending the data correctly..

Jobi-Wan

Your MAX7219 is in Display Test Mode.
Write a zero to the Display Test Register (0x0F) to get it out of Display Test Mode.

You may want to do some more initialisation:

Display Test (0x0F) = 0
Shutdown (0x0C) = 1  (0 for shutdown, 1 for normal operation)
Decode Mode (0x09) = 0
Scan Limit (0x0B) = 4 (to scan only 5 digits in your case)
Intensity (0x0A) = 0x01 (low) .. 0x0F (high)

Paul__B

CrossRoads

CS (Load) should not need a pullup if a uC is driving it. I've never had to use one.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Jobi-Wan

I bet the pullup on CS would prevent the MAX from clocking in garbage during startup while the micro resets.

Paul__B

It depends.

If he cannot control it with code, either the code is wrong or it is a common anode display.

If the display flashes on startup and then initialises correctly, it is due to transients or AC on the control lines on switch-on, before the Arduino boots, and holding the CS high (or low) suppresses that.

I bet the pullup on CS would prevent the MAX from clocking in garbage during startup while the micro resets.
Correct.

Blaukomma

Thanks for all the answers.

Good news: the Max is now doing what i want.

The bad news: I cannot tell you why. Today in the morning i turned in on with the exact same code from yesterday and the Display turned on once and then was turned of by the controller as expected.. I will add that Pullup as you recommended and i hope i wont have this problem anymore!

Thank you guys!

Go Up