Go Down

Topic: Parallel DAC (Read 152 times) previous topic - next topic

PlayRobotiics

In my project I use a 5-Way TCRT5000. This is a 5x digital IR sensor. I want to connect it to my Arduino Nano, but as I use most other pins, I want to convert the output of the sensors into an analog output using a DAC.

My requirements when using this sensor are:
  • 5-bit Parallel Input
  • Analog Output (and not i2c)

I saw a chip that was fitting my purposes, Sparkfun AD5330, but it has been discontinued, and I cannot find a similar alternative. neither Adafruit not Sparkfun sell an alternative that suits both demands.

Has anyone used something similar or know of an alternative chip?

Thanks very much for any help

MarkT

R-2R ladder of 1% resistors?
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

TomGeorge

May 15, 2019, 05:52 pm Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:54 pm by TomGeorge
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

In my project I use a 5-Way TCRT5000. This is a 5x digital IR sensor. I want to connect it to my Arduino Nano, but as I use most other pins, I want to convert the output of the sensors into an analog output using a DAC.

My requirements when using this sensor are:
  • 5-bit Parallel Input
  • Analog Output (and not i2c)

5 bit parallel input, do you mean you have 5 analog inputs?
How are the 5 analog inputs going to relate to the one analog output?
Why don't you want to use I2C to drive your  DAC?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12918

Thanks.. Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

MarkT

As I understand it 5 bits are to be encoded as an analog voltage.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

PlayRobotiics

Thank you for your answers. I think that the R-2R ladder is the best choice here.

TomGeorge the sensor outputs 5 digital values, and I would like to use only one analog pin instead of 5 digital ones.
The idea is that the 5 outputs will be converted to a binary-represented voltage using a ladder or a DAC so it can be attached to one analog pin and then parsed by the arduino to know each of the sensors value.

Go Up