Extracting data from an HTML response - Wiserver

I am using Wiserver client sketch to read website page (the page is actually only a single digit) I need to use this digit as a variable in a sketch, however all the header data is getting in the way. Does anyone have a method of either not collecting the header data or parsing the returned data and extracting the required digit. In the response data shown below the digit is the 2 just before the ended connection response.

here is the response from the webserver; I have altered some of the URLs for security reasons

Connected to www.websitexx.com.au
TX 85 bytes
RX 0 bytes from www.websitexx.com.au
RX 230 bytes from www.websitexx.com.au
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 15:33:12 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_fcgid/2.3.6 Phusion_Passenger/3.0.9 mod_bwlimited/1.4
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html

2Ended connection with www.websitexx.com.au

Here is the code;

/*
       * A simple sketch that uses WiServer and prints
       * it via the Serial API

*/

#include <WiServer.h>

/*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++  START WIFI CONFIG ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*/

#define WIRELESS_MODE_INFRA	1
      #define WIRELESS_MODE_ADHOC	2

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////Wireless configuration parameters ////////////////////////////////////////

unsigned char local_ip[] = {192,168,1,0};	// IP address of WiShield
      unsigned char gateway_ip[] = {192,168,1,0};	// router or gateway IP address
      unsigned char subnet_mask[] = {255,255,255,0};	// subnet mask for the local network
      const prog_char ssid[] PROGMEM = {"XXXXXX"};		// max 32 bytes

unsigned char security_type = 2;	// 0 - open; 1 - WEP; 2 - WPA; 3 - WPA2

// WPA/WPA2 passphrase
      const prog_char security_passphrase[] PROGMEM = {"XXXXXXXXX"};	// max 64 characters

////////////////////////////////////////////////////// no need to edit below ////////////////////////////////////////

// WEP 128-bit keys
      // sample HEX keys
        prog_uchar wep_keys[] PROGMEM = { 
        0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06, 0x07, 0x08, 0x09, 0x0a, 0x0b, 0x0c, 0x0d,	// Key 0
        0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,	// Key 1
        0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,	// Key 2
        0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00	// Key 3
      };

// setup the wireless mode
      // infrastructure - connect to AP
      // adhoc - connect to another WiFi device
      unsigned char wireless_mode = WIRELESS_MODE_INFRA;
      unsigned char ssid_len;
      unsigned char security_passphrase_len;

// End of wireless configuration parameters ----------------------------------------

/*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++  START VARIABLES CONFIG +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*/

// Function that prints data from the server
      void printData(char* data, int len) {

// Print the data returned by the server
        // Note that the data is not null-terminated, may be broken up into smaller packets, and 
        // includes the HTTP header. 
       while (len-- > 0) {

Serial.print(*(data++));

} 
      }

// IP Address for www.xxxxx.com.au  
      uint8 ip[] = {000,000,000,000};

// A request that gets the latest data for site
      GETrequest getSite(ip, 80, "www.xxxxxx.com", "/xxxxxxx/output.php");

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++  VOID SETUP BELOW  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

void setup() {
        // Initialize WiServer (we'll pass NULL for the page serving function since we don't need to serve web pages) 
        WiServer.init(NULL);

// Enable Serial output and ask WiServer to generate log messages (optional)
        Serial.begin(57600);
        WiServer.enableVerboseMode(true);

// Have the processData function called when data is returned by the server
        getSite.setReturnFunc(printData);

}

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////  delay between setup an loop run  ////////////////////////////////////////
      // Time (in millis) when the data should be retrieved 
      long updateTime = 0;

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++  START LOOP BELOW +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

////////////////////////////////  original read out loop /////////////////////////////

void loop(){

// Check if it's time to get an update
        if (millis() >= updateTime) {
          getSite.submit();    
          // Get another update one hour from now
          updateTime += 1000 * 60 * 60;
           }

// Run WiServer
        WiServer.server_task();

delay(100);

}

When the data is received, the printData() function is called. You need to parse the data in that function, to find the data of interest. You might observe that there are consecutive carriage return/line feeds just before the data of interest.

Thanks Paul, do you have any examples of this? Sorry but I'm a newbie. Is there a way of counting the carriage returns and just selecting the line of interest? Or spotting the two carriage returns together then selecting the next character, which appears to be the digit I'm interested in.

Cheers Bobster

Is there a way of counting the carriage returns

Sure.

int crCnt = 0;
int lfCnt = 0;
for(int i=0; i<len; i++)
{
  if(data[i] == '\n')
    crCnt++;
  if(data[i] == '\r')
    lfCnt++;
}

Do this first, to see if there are carriage returns and line feeds, just carriage returns, or just line feeds.

Or spotting the two carriage returns together then selecting the next character

Sure.

int doubleCRPos = 0;
for(int i=0; i<len; i++)
{
  if(data[i] == '\n')
  {
     if(i < len-2)
     {
        if(data[i+1] == '\n' || (data[i+1] == '\r' && data[i+2] == '\n')
        {
           doubleCRPos = i+1;
        }
     }
  }
}
if(doubleCRPos > 0)
{
   // The data of interest will be at data[doubleCRPos+1] or data[doubleCRPos+2]
   // depending on whether there are CRs or LFs only or CR and LFs
}