Go Down

Topic: DycoLED (Read 7467 times) previous topic - next topic

macegr

What is the LED? I know that when I talked to UB LEDs last year, they said a 3x8bit version was in the works. Did UB LEDs finally release them, or did someone else start making them?
Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

GoolGaul

I got 20 of these for Demo purposes.

Haven't gotten to them yet, as I really need about 80 for my project.

they are T-I-N-Y indeed.  It's unfortunate that the price isn't.

Glad to see that someone has been making progress on these.

KirAsh4

I have ten of them, got them when I first started this thread.  I also have the datasheet on them, though you can get that online as well.  They are the same size as the regular 5050 sized ones, only thinner at 1.2mm compared to 1.6mm on the 5050s.

As far as I know, they don't have a 32bit version yet.  And they are looking for distributors ... minimum purchase is 10K at $0.65 per piece.  Unfortunately for them, I don't have $6,500 just "sitting around" ...  From what they've told me, their distributor in Europe sells them for almost $1.10 each (0.85 Euro).

For the time being, I decided to stick with the regular 5050 RGB ones, 1,000 for $0.12 each.  Sure I have to use an IC with them, but at $0.155 for a WS2801, together that's still $0.275 against the $0.65 for the DycoLED (whole sale).  And the WS2801 gives me 24-bit color.

For the $1.10 retail it would cost for a single DycoLED (through their European distributor, whoever that may be), I can get a single WS2803 (18 channels) and six 5050 RGBs up and running, or four WS2801 paired with four 5050 RGBs.  As I said before, UB would have to start selling a crap load of them, saturate the market, before the prices start to come down.

As far as programming them, I run them using FastSPI with the LPD6803 driver.  However, my gripe with them is that as soon as power is applied to them, they come on bright white, and it's not till you send a shut off signal to them will them turn off.  That's a huge in-rush current when you have a bunch of them connected together and you turn the device on.  The WS280x ICs are off by default.  Again, they win.

DeadDealer

A basic library for the DycoLeds is now ready:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,105142.0.html

At the moment this is only for an ATtiny85, but support for other chips will follow soon.

Go Up