Go Down

Topic: Garage door safety laser sensors with arduino (Read 366 times) previous topic - next topic

licker658

I'm trying to setup IR sensors that would trigger the arduino Leonardo to emulate a keyboard to input a character on the computer when the beam is broke.  I tried a small set of IR sensors that would only trigger with very slow movement and not detect fast movement (a ball rolling past) is it possible that the IR sensors I have are not powerful enough or defective? (5v) the sensors are positioned 3 feet apart. Also, is it possible to use a set of garage door safety sensors if I use an external power source and connect the signal wire to Arduino Leonardo? Thanks!

humandroid

Which type of sensors are you using? Can you share a link of their description? 

Safety sensors implies certifications. It means that usually sensors are quite expensive. The only sensors/actuators that are safety certified in elevators are the motors which close/open the doors. You can include sensors to automatize the doors to open/close if there is a person approaching/crossing to the doors. Those sensors won't be safety sensors unless there is a Safety certification on its back. 

How many sensors do you need? 

Do you have any sketch where we could see how you mount the sensors?

licker658

These are the sensors I'm using now. http://www.yourduino.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=86

They don't detect a broken beam if something passes too fast (a rolling ball)

I was wondering if the ir sensors that are used to prevent a garage door from closing if something is blocking the beam would work with  arduino. You can buy these sensors at any home improvement store for $30. I called them safety sensors because they prevent the garage door from closing if there is something in the way (Ex. Kids, pets, etc.)

Or if there is anything I can do to make the sensors I already have work better.

Paul_KD7HB

You wrote: "They don't detect a broken beam if something passes too fast (a rolling ball)".

But you have never told us how you know this is true. Since you posted to an Arduino forum, are you using an Arduino with software you have written? If you want help, please supply enough information.

Paul

licker658

My original post has my intentions using the arduino Leonardo. I posted a link to the sensors I am using and the code for the arduino is just instructing a keyboard input when the beam is broken. This code is working with the sensor if I very slowly block the beam.  I need the sensor to work when something faster passes the beam. Sorry if I'm unclear, this is new to me. Thanks for the help

Paul_KD7HB

My original post has my intentions using the arduino Leonardo. I posted a link to the sensors I am using and the code for the arduino is just instructing a keyboard input when the beam is broken. This code is working with the sensor if I very slowly block the beam.  I need the sensor to work when something faster passes the beam. Sorry if I'm unclear, this is new to me. Thanks for the help
I followed your link, but their link to documentation is broken, so no one knows how the devices are supposed to be wired or how they function, etc.

You have never shown your code, so who can tell if you are the source of the show response, or what. Do you have ANY delay in your code?

Paul

humandroid

I agree with Paul. 

If you copied and pasted the code from the internet there is a delay(100) 

Can be the reason? 

If still you have problems try with this https://www.terabee.com/shop/lidar-tof-range-finders/teraranger-evo-mini/   

The maximum range is 3.3 m. I am not sure if it is a big issue for you or not, but it looks faster than the one you have.

Go Up