Go Down

Topic: HC05 is not connecting to my phone (Read 130 times) previous topic - next topic

bernardoolisan

Hi there, I am using an HC05 BT module, I am following this tutorial https://maker.pro/arduino/tutorial/bluetooth-basics-how-to-control-led-using-smartphone-arduino

All the connections are correct, and is giving me this "cant connect, is it a SPP device?", I dont know what is going on, also is pairing correctly but in connection is bad, I also try to connect it to a blutooth terminal but is the same, it pairs correct but is cant connect to my phone, I have an android. thank you for the help

Nick_Pyner

is giving me this "cant connect, is it a SPP device?",
If it is an HC-05, it is an SPP device, that is all it is, and, if the phone is asking the question, it probably isn't.

This is not an Arduino problem - yet. You might use Arduino to put Bluetooth into AT mode and query the version. I say this because there are fake or bodgie HC-05s about, and the situation seems to be getting worse.

You will be amazed how many people don't know what they are holding in their hand and your first job is to ensure that you do. The HC-05 has two large chips and usually sits on a breakout board with six pins. It typically has a button switch to put it into AT mode.

bernardoolisan

If it is an HC-05, it is an SPP device, that is all it is, and, if the phone is asking the question, it probably isn't.

This is not an Arduino problem - yet. You might use Arduino to put Bluetooth into AT mode and query the version. I say this because there are fake or bodgie HC-05s about, and the situation seems to be getting worse.

You will be amazed how many people don't know what they are holding in their hand and your first job is to ensure that you do. The HC-05 has two large chips and usually sits on a breakout board with six pins. It typically has a button switch to put it into AT mode.
So you are saying that my HC05 is not the original bluetooth module?, if it is that case, can you give me the link to buy of a good hc05 module.
sorry for my english I am not Native

bernardoolisan

Because I already bought 3 BT modules in diferents stores and all of them give me that error, maybe I should buy an HC06, should I?

Nick_Pyner

So you are saying that my HC05 is not the original bluetooth module?,
I'm not saying that, I am saying it MIGHT not be. Further, the fact that you have bought three of them faintly suggests that the problem might be somewhere else. Also, you have not confirmed that you have an HC-05 - fake or otherwise. Unfortunately, I have not bought an HC-05 for some years, and I'm no more qualified than anybody else to recommend a safe supplier.

I have never heard of your problem before but, in the light of the symptoms, I believe a bodgie module is the most plausible solution.

Using HC-06 is a pretty good idea, as I think they are far lees likely to give trouble. The only problem I can think of was where an HC-05 masqueraded as an HC-06, but I don't think it was ever confirmed. You just need to be aware that HC-06 is a slave-only device and has a limited command set, while HC-05 is a master/slave device. Out-of-the-box, an HC-05 works just like an HC-06 anyway, and I bet that, for about 95% of Arduino users, they are used like one, their additional features are never called upon, and an HC-06 would be entirely satisfactory.

To sum this up:
The most obvious occasion when you need an HC-05 is when you need to talk to another HC-05. This requires one HC-05 to be configured as a master.

If you just want to converse with a phone, you never need an HC-05, HC-06 will do. This is because the phone is always the master.

The simplest description of "master" is that it is the one that establishes contact. Once the contact is made, it doesn't matter which is which.

Go Up