Go Down

Topic: Interesting press release from Atmel (Read 2002 times) previous topic - next topic

skyjumper

Check this out:

http://cawidgets.morningstar.ca/ArticleTemplate/ArticleGL.aspx?s=PRNewswire&r=PRNews_20120519SF10315&culture=en-CA

skyjumper

I'm particularly interested in item number two, the UC3 based wifi shield. H&D had been working with Atmel for some time to create code libraries so that a 32bit Atmel UC3 can be used to drive the H&D wireless wifi solutions. H&D wifi comes in two flavors. The first is similar to a roving networks module, that you talk to using serial and send it commands.The second is one that operates at a much lower level, and therefore requires something like the Atmel UC3 CPU.

The second approach should leave plenty of processing power to to other things in addition. For example, run a fairly high end web server.

I am in the process of designing just such a shield, but it looks like I should hold off and see what Atmel comes out with first.

westfw

So I dropped by the Atmel/Arduino area at Maker Faire and took a look at the boards.  There wasn't much noise there, and all the boards had "developer version" or something like that on the silkscreen, and none of them were actually running (though there might have been running ones elsewhere) so who knows how final those versions were.

The Due had a SAM3X8? (probably X8C: look like a 100pin chip), and looked very much like a MEGA.
The Wireless shield had the wireless module (which is REALLY tiny) plus the UC3 chip (I didn't check which one), and a microSD socket.  Presumably, they could write firmware that would cause the existing ethernet-based sketches to work without many changes, which would be pretty neat.
The 32u4 board was suitably empty-looking.

skyjumper

Bill that's cool! I assume they didn't have much to say about the boards other then "look!  Eye candy!"

graynomad

I was hoping for a release or real information at Maker Faire...losing interest :(

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Jantje

I was hoping for a release or real information at Maker Faire...losing interest :(

I feel the same way.
Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

skyjumper

Has anyone seen any update on this stuff from Atmel?

graynomad

Nope, there was a brief (and small) flurry if info after the Maker Faire, now it's back to the wall of silence.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up