Go Down

Topic: What is the status of serial on a tiny85 (Read 19323 times) previous topic - next topic

Osgeld

I have use for software serial on a ATTINY85 using arduino tiny, what is the status of serial communications? I started to design a board and thought I better check, using the 1.0 included lib results in issue 49 ... any work arounds? I just need to receive streams of characters

Thanks

Osgeld

Jun 08, 2012, 05:47 am Last Edit: Jun 08, 2012, 05:52 am by Osgeld Reason: 1
cool, I will play around with it tomorrow and over the weekend (search was failing me)

at work they tore down quite a few old test carts that were in storage, our lab is now the proud owners of 7 boards containing 24, 60 volt, 3 amp SSR's each, and I would rather not use the old ISA machines they were attached to ... FTDI cable + tiny + 595's = happy

Coding Badly

cool, I will play around with it tomorrow and over the weekend (search was failing me)

Please report back with a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.

at work they tore down quite a few old test carts that were in storage, our lab is now the proud owners of 7 boards containing 24, 60 volt, 3 amp SSR's each,

60 volts?  What were they controlling?  Motors?

and I would rather not use the old ISA machines they were attached to ... FTDI cable + tiny + 595's = happy

If you use the internal oscillator, how have you been tuning (or do you)?

Osgeld

Please report back with a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.

will do

60 volts?  What were they controlling?  Motors?

no light testers @ 13VDC, the current was the important part

If you use the internal oscillator, how have you been tuning (or do you)?

I havent been before

Coding Badly

If you decide to tune let me know.  I have something that should make the process painless.

Osgeld

ok well the software serial included in 1.0...

formerly NewSoftSerial

does not contain the lines given in the link above, so I am going to get the older verion and see what happens

Osgeld

here is what I am getting with the "new" software serial included in 1.0

In file included from Blink.cpp:1:0:
/usr/share/arduino/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:92:18: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual size_t SoftwareSerial::write(uint8_t)'
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/tiny/Print.h:71:18: error:   overriding 'virtual void Print::write(uint8_t)'

Coding Badly

here is what I am getting with the "new" software serial included in 1.0 ...error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual size_t SoftwareSerial::write(uint8_t)'

Several folks are complaining about that problem.  I'll try to get it knocked out this week.  The problem is that the Tiny Core still includes Print.* from 0022.  You may be able to drop in the two files from 1.0.  Wait, that probably won't work.

Osgeld

I used

http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1695

and its quite crappy but I was able to get 2400 baud to work properly once tonight @8Mhz, maybe with a arduino tiny tuneup I can get it consistant, and maybe faster (though I am sending 3 whole bytes at a time speed isnt really an issue here)

Coding Badly

Perfect!  That is exactly what I needed to know.  I've been trying to set aside some time to run that exact test.  Thank you for posting!

I can now go back to mucking with the TIny Core.

maybe with a arduino tiny tuneup I can get it consistant, and maybe faster

If you want to test drive an experimental replacement let me know.

Coding Badly

Please give this a try...
http://arduino-tiny.googlecode.com/files/arduino-tiny-0100-0014.zip

Only support for the ATtiny85 family was added.  After a few folks have tested it, I will add support for the ATtiny84 family and the ATtiny2313 family.

If anyone reading this tests SoftwareSerial with the Tiny Core, please report back.

Go Up