Arduino 2560 Stuck on Uploading Sketch

I guess, I have the same Problem. I have an Arduino 2560 compatible board (SainSmart) and the IDE gets stuck at the "Uploading to I/O board..." message. The bargraph shows around 95% but then there is no further progress. I tried this with Windows 7 64bit and Win XP, with 101 and 0023.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Lutz

After alot of research I have found this:

I got fed up looking and I haven't tried it yet. If you try before me let me know how you've got on.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/download.html

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert in Arduino and I can't find any help on the website you have linked. If you think to use the USBtiny driver instead the drivers provided by the Arduino software, that doesn't work.

Today, after ~50 uploads on my mega2560 i can't upload a single sketch to mine board.
It worked previously on 2 of my pc-s, and if someone knows the solution i'd be grateful.
Its to darn expensive board to fail on me..

After reinstalling drivers, and downgrading to 1.0, and a long time i got this message

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail

matinzk and hpt007: unfortunately, we can't provide support for non-Arduino boards as it's impossible to know exactly how they're designed / what software they're running / etc. I'd suggest asking the maker of your board for help.

It's the principle, one day it works, and the next day it bricks...
Summary: Lost 50€, and soon the ticket to inovator's show.
Guess we all learn our lessons. 8)

hpt007:
the IDE gets stuck at the "Uploading to I/O board..." message. The bargraph shows around 95% but then there is no further progress.

I have a Mega that is a fake Arduino, it has the same problem 50% of the time. I sometimes have to disconnect the USB, wait, and reconnect. Watching the TX, RX, leds, I think the problem is with the timing of the DTR pulse. It seems the pulse is timed wrong, with the sketch data that is to follow the pulse. I am wondering if maybe the Atmega 8 usb chip that is on the board my need a firmware upgrade?

I have been able to upload sketches through the serial port header using a USB to serial converter. You should give that a try if you have a converter.

cyclegadget:

hpt007:
the IDE gets stuck at the "Uploading to I/O board..." message. The bargraph shows around 95% but then there is no further progress.

I have a Mega that is a fake Arduino, it has the same problem 50% of the time. I sometimes have to disconnect the USB, wait, and reconnect. Watching the TX, RX, leds, I think the problem is with the timing of the DTR pulse. It seems the pulse is timed wrong, with the sketch data that is to follow the pulse. I am wondering if maybe the Atmega 8 usb chip that is on the board my need a firmware upgrade?

I have been able to upload sketches through the serial port header using a USB to serial converter. You should give that a try if you have a converter.

even if it is a "fake" arduino, it still consists of same ATMEL2560, and opensourced schematics....
so i guess no support for opensourcing, or homemade stuff.......

By fake, I meant that it was made to look like a genuine Arduino but, it was a copy that was not quite the same.

The reason the Arduino people can't be expected to support other boards is that things might not be the same as the genuine Arduino board.

Hardware could be slightly different, firmware might be out of date or a mismatch that someone came up with. Could even be faulty craftsmanship.

If you have a true Arduino board then you have all of the hardware and firmware as known pieces of the puzzle.

I'm having the same problem with Mega2560 Pro 3.3V made by Sparkfun. Although not an official Arduino product, the problem behavior looks the same.

It seems that if the new sketch is going to load the "L" led will make a very quick flash followed by high speed tx, rx led action. However, when the sketch is not going to load, the "L" led flashes once followed by a pause and then the tx led will stay lit without change, and the compiler will hold at 95% progress.

As I said before, it think it has to do with timing between the DTR-reset trigger and the beginning of serial upload from the computer. I don't know how to make any alterations to that to test it however.

Okay, if DTR is messed up, does it mean that the chip handling serial is broken??
And will bypassing it with FTDI cable do the trick?????

In my case, it managed to load but there will be timeout error with no upload successful status.
But, the sketch runs accordingly.This is using the new 1.0.1 IDE.

Okay, if DTR is messed up, does it mean that the chip handling serial is broken??

If you already have a cable, it won't hurt to try. If you had a Uno with a removable chip, you can hook tx-tx, rx-rx, reset-reset, 5v-5v, gnd-gnd together and that will work.

cyclegadget:

If you already have a cable, it won't hurt to try. If you had a Uno with a removable chip, you can hook tx-tx, rx-rx, reset-reset, 5v-5v, gnd-gnd together and that will work.

unfortunately, i don't have it XD
but some people did it

It works! XD
I changed the USB cable AND I use an external power supply during upload now. The power LED is on even w/o external power supply, but the upload won't work. After the upload I can remove the external power and the board still works.

Good to hear the Mega still lives!

I had a similar problem...

My fix was to plug my USB cable DIRECTLY into my motherboard USB port bypassing USB hubs / monitor hubs etc.

Worked flawlessly after that...