HPDL 1414

I scrounged some parts and have several of these with little breakout boards that plug into double headers.

Any help getting me started fooling with them would be appreciated! I don't have any plans but I may do something with them if I can control them.

Thanks

Looks pretty easy. Select one of the four character positions with A0 and A1. Pull the WR line low. Put character data on D0-D6. Pull WR high.

The data and address lines can be shared with multiple chips as long as the WR lines are kept separate. With 14 pins you can display a line of 16 characters (4 modules of 4 characters each).

A more direct link to the datasheet: http://www.soselectronic.hu/a_info/resource/d/HPDL-1414.pdf

Thanks John. I'll have to study on it some.

They do look like cool little devices and it's nice to know that it's possible to drive them!

Really a nice display, HP made a WHOLE bunch of different intelligent displays at one time, Hex, 15 seg like those regular 7 seg and dots as well as bars for displays. Easy to use and at that time VERY expensive. I did find one small thing on the data sheet however, the actual LED Element is about 2.9 mm tall about if I remember right about 10-11 mm tall with the bubble magnifier. Still a great good looking and easy to use. Hp also made some military qualified types that were good to 100C operation and visible in direct sunlight, they were about 3X the cost of the commercial ones.

Doc

Hi there,

got some DL1414 too and I like them. I've build me a sample shield for one DL1414 and I have some boards with 4 of them on it.
Indeed handling of these is as simple as described above. Thus one can make it still easier :wink:
I created a sketch with some function to set a digit or write a char on up to 4 DL1414.
Still this is work in Progress since I did not yet find the time to implement the whole charset.
But once I finished it, It will be available open source for everyone (cc-by-nc).
So if anyone is interested in this...

cheers
Sebastian

I recently bought four DL-1416s which are the same deal, they just have two extra lines that are frankly not all that useful as far as I can tell. One implements a cursor function and the other is a chip enable line which I guess can be effectively simulated on the 1414 with the write line. You can't fully deselect the DL-1414 like you can with the DL-1416 but you can make it display four blanks, so that's the same thing take a few mA. Here is what I did with them as my testing project.

DL1416Test.ino (10.1 KB)

A quick test sketch

PsycleSam:
Psycle Sam: HPDL-1414 Test
A quick test sketch

It is usually best not to use Pin 0 and Pin 1 as data pins as they are also the Serial pins. You can't do any debugging output via Serial if those pins are used for other things.

Search these forums for DL2416 or DL1416. you're looking for a post by quarterturn. there is some clearly commented code I have adapted to 1416s, 2416s and 1414T displays. If thats not clear I'll post back with some of my code.

Fun displays,

jimmy

hoff70:
I scrounged some parts and have several of these

Those are cool! Where can I get some?

Hey, Sorry to resurrect an old thread but,
How can I get characters to scroll on my Siemens alpha-numeric display?

I know this thread is old, but I made a library for using the HPDL1414 display.
Maybe there's still some interest.