Go Down

Topic: Help needed connecting JZC-11F relay to 110V AC chord for light bulb (Read 6418 times) previous topic - next topic

BlueJakester

This is my first use of a relay to control a light bulb. I've searched and searched, couldn't be certain of the pages I have found, so I'm asking for help in wiring this up.

> Arduino Uno R3
> JZC-114 relay
> low wattage AC light bulb, 110V line

I know how to connect the Uno to the relay on a breadboard, from an experiment I did earlier with an LED. What I'm trying to verify is where to connect the AC power cord hot lead to the relay. The following pic is from the relay datasheet.

Looking at the wiring digram block on the right, it appears I will connect the power cord to the upper left and upper right posts. It this correct?  

Thanks,
Jake

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/100

dwyer2bp

First off: I want to stress the concern for safety when dealing with high-voltage that can harm or kill you if you are in-experienced. Is it really necesarry to interface to a light-bulb and the 110V Outlet?

If so, I recommend against doing this on a breadboard, as the traces may not be rated for high voltage. I also recommend a low-current fuse inline from the hot-AC to your relay (to prevent popping the circuit breaker and even from zapping yourself). And remember, don't do any wiring with the cord plugged in :0)

Regarding the schematic: Yes top left and upper right is the way to go for a normally open switch (and you should've known this from the test you performed with the LED).

You do know you can get 12V Light Bulbs right?

BlueJakester

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the relay would most certainly be off the breadboard when it is passing the high voltage. The experiment I did with an LED was done on the breadboard, and that is when I connected it up previously.

After I posted the question here, I continued to search with Google and had finally come to the same conclusion regarding the wiring block in that diagram. For others who may also be wondering about this, here is one of the better pages I found on the topic:

http://www.glacialwanderer.com/hobbyrobotics/?p=9

dwyer2bp

Looks like one thing they forgot is shrink-tube on the soldered terminals.

Good luck

BlueJakester

kf2qd

They do make sockets for some of those relays, that gives you access to screw terminals. Or you can pay a little more money for one that has screw terminals and some holes for mounting. Being able to mount the elay securely means that you don't have it skittering around on your desk to bite you when you absent-mindedly go to move it. Though I believe that counts as shock therapy... (been there, done that, was mellow for a couple days...)( and some of you have been there too...)

BlueJakester

LOL kf2qd! 

BTW, I can advise against soldering while wearing shorts.

Go Up